wood ammo boxes

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

crankythunder

wood ammo boxes

Post by crankythunder »

My fellow rimfire shooters:

As a competitive 4 position small bore shooter, I have been using my trusty freeland ammo box for years, unfortunately, dealing with the low capacity (50 rounds) and leaving the center space (usually used for a unopened box of ammo) empty. Since my usual match calls for 40 scoring shots and an unlimited number of sighters, a 50 round wood ammo box did not have the capacity without reloading.

On a recent rimfire central discussion thread, I came across Jared and his website:

http://www.2steinsordnance.blogspot.com/p/for-sale.html

I asked Jared if there was any way he could manufacture a 75 round wood ammo box which would fit my needs as a small bore shooter. Jared responded no problem, and before long, I had a couple 75 round wood ammo boxes. Used them in my next couple matches, a little bit more convenient, specialized for my needs, worked out really good.

I immediately thought about how these would work for my bullseye competitions. Now, I have used quite a few methods for ammo organization at a bullseye match, from using old CCI SV ammo boxes to using ornate wood bowls to hold my ammo as I load my magazines. The CCI plastic boxes are a pain to load, work good until they break, which usually results in your picking up your ammo off the floor as the whole box falls apart as your trying to get five rounds into your magazine. The simple wood bowl works good most of the time because most of the time you are able to get five rounds in your magazine. When the simple wood bowl does not work is when you get interrupted during loading and end up with four rounds in your magazine during timed or rapid fire. The thing is, I have been looking for a system to load my bullseye ammo that insures I get five rounds in a magazine without thinking about it, keeping my mind on competition and is idiot proof, a highly desirable feature when this competitor is involved.

Upon reviewing some of the ammunition organization procedures used by my fellow competitors, it is apparent that I am not the only bullseye shooter struggling to insure that I load 5 rounds into every magazine. While most people use the good old CCI 22 plastic box, some of the more experimental competitors show up with dozens of pre loaded magazines, or make a bunch of 5 round piles of ammo, and even one guy that shows up with a bunch of shot glasses and loads five rounds of ammo into each shot glass, all designed to insure we load a mag with all five rounds required in a string of fire. I am sure all the empty shot glasses come in handy at the end of the match, especially if that competitor only got four rounds in a mag on the last string of fire!

With that being said, I asked Jared if he would consider making a 100 round wood boxes, seeing how a 100 round wood box would be perfect for bullseye competition. Jared quickly stepped up to the plate, and produced some 100 round boxes. After using them for a number of practice sessions, I can say that they are the best thing since canned beer for the rimfire bullseye competitor! As a matter of fact, they are so nice, I betcha these are the ammo boxes that Queen Elizabeth uses when she shoots bullseye at the basement range in Buckingham palace!

Check out the website, let me know what you think.

Please recognize that I have absolutely no financial interest in the sale of these wood ammo boxes, they are awesome and a big help for the bullseye shooter.

Regards,
Cranky