New National Record

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Isabel1130

New National Record

Post by Isabel1130 »

At the Matchmasters range in Columbia Tennessee, Army shooter, Jim Henderson set a new National record in the .45 caliber short course. The new record is 894-59X and it was shot on Friday, 24 May, 2013.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Congratulations to Jim Henderson on his National record! That's a lot of 10's & X's
mrgt350

59x

Post by mrgt350 »

That is outstanding but would really suck to shoot all those x's and then a 4.
Isabel1130

Re: 59x

Post by Isabel1130 »

mrgt350 wrote:That is outstanding but would really suck to shoot all those x's and then a 4.

No 4's in Conventional pistol. The worst you can do and still get points is a 5. I heard from the guy who was scoring him, that Jim rarely shoots a nine, but a real mistake on his part will yield an 8.
mrgt350

4's

Post by mrgt350 »

There are 4's but I was thinking 600 and 59x's not a 900. Probably not a 4 but more likely six 9's. My mistake.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I heard he was on track to shoot a clean 900 but his last shot of rapid fire hit a unicorn and ricocheted into the 4-ring.
GunRunner

Re: 4's

Post by GunRunner »

mrgt350 wrote:There are 4's but I was thinking 600 and 59x's not a 900. Probably not a 4 but more likely six 9's. My mistake.
Nope, no 4s in Bullseye(conventional pistol) the targets only have 5 scoring rings and a X ring, outside of that a shot is a miss and you loose 10 points. Jim is a great shot, he beat the old record by 1 point and a few xs and it had stood since 1995.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Who's big toes did Jim step on??? Was it Brian Zins?
Chris
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Old record of
893-57x
W. Hart
Providence, RI
09/15/1995
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Here is a picture I took of Jim, right before the short course started Friday morning.
Attachments
image.jpg
mr alexander

New National Record

Post by mr alexander »

Does any one know what equipment Jim Henderson used to set this new

record with? Not trying to "buy any points", but inquiring minds would

like to know specifics about his pistol, ammo, sight, gunsmith, etc.

Just curious!
Isabel1130

Re: New National Record

Post by Isabel1130 »

mr alexander wrote:Does any one know what equipment Jim Henderson used to set this new

record with? Not trying to "buy any points", but inquiring minds would

like to know specifics about his pistol, ammo, sight, gunsmith, etc.

Just curious!
All of Jim's equipment is built and maintained by the AMU gunsmiths.
Ammo that the AMU shoots is Atlanta Arms and Ammo.

I believe Jim shoots a standard 1911 with a frame mounted dot. I think maybe a roll trigger but I am not sure about that. I will see him again at Canton in July and ask him a little more about his 45.

He shoots a Hammerli 208s for rim fire, with the trigger set at about 2.5 pounds. He was shooting a 1911 9 for center fire but don't know if he will do that at Camp Perry.

Didn't look at his sight but I know he likes a very small 2MOA dot. I am betting it is an ultra dot as I don't believe that Aimpoint let's you make the dot that small, but I could be wrong, as I am about many things.
BenEnglishTX

Re: New National Record

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Isabel1130 wrote:...2MOA dot. ... I don't believe that Aimpoint let's you make the dot that small, but I could be wrong,...
I hate to be the one to break it to you. :-)

The Aimpoint Micro H1 can be had with the 2 MOA dot. That's how I got mine. I couldn't pass up the show pricing and additional rebate at the NRA Annual Meeting last month. Now I wish I had bought 2 (or 3).

See: http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all ... 29e7331c45
Jerry Keefer

208s

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Here's an adaption of the Micro to the Hammerli 208s.
The Micro is rapidly gaining popularity among the top ranks..I also predict an upsurge of 1911 frame mounts in the future...
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Lovely pictures Jerry. I like the Aimpoint micro just fine, except for a couple of things. The first being the necessity of machining extension tubes, and the second, the fact that the brightness and the size of the dot are not independent from each other.
I do love the frame mounts. With a lot of people going to the 9mm for center fire, I think the frame mount will become almost a necessity.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Isabel1130 wrote:Lovely pictures Jerry. I like the Aimpoint micro just fine, except for a couple of things. The first being the necessity of machining extension tubes, and the second, the fact that the brightness and the size of the dot are not independent from each other.
I do love the frame mounts. With a lot of people going to the 9mm for center fire, I think the frame mount will become almost a necessity.
I watched a National level top team shooter , last Sat. fire a couple of strings of rapid fire... Whew...there is no sense in absorbing, and fighting that much recoil.
Recoil = lost points.. I don't care how good the shooter is.. The tuned frame mounted gun with ammo to take advantage of the system, has the recoil of a .38..Heavier recoil springs can be used, which actually cause the gun to operate 'flatter" in terms of recoil.
David Sams has been right all along...I should have listened sooner. The folks I have been building the Micro mounts for, haven't mentioned the dot size or brightness, but they do remark about, and like the perfect circumference of the Aimpoint dot.
Jerry
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Jerry Keefer wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:Lovely pictures Jerry. I like the Aimpoint micro just fine, except for a couple of things. The first being the necessity of machining extension tubes, and the second, the fact that the brightness and the size of the dot are not independent from each other.
I watched a National level top team shooter , last Sat. fire a couple of strings of rapid fire... Whew...there is no sense in absorbing, and fighting that much recoil.
Recoil = lost points.. I don't care how good the shooter is.. The tuned frame mounted gun with ammo to take advantage of the system, has the recoil of a .38..Heavier recoil springs can be used, which actually cause the gun to operate 'flatter" in terms of recoil.
David Sams has been right all along...I should have listened sooner. The folks I have been building the Micro mounts for, haven't mentioned the dot size or brightness, but they do remark about, and like the perfect circumference of the Aimpoint dot.
Jerry

Old folk wisdom dies hard. There was a reason to prefer a slide mounted dot when the frame mounted dots were so clunky and put the scope so high above the bore line, but the way Sams does it, I believe makes the frame mount superior in every way.
Of course, I shoot Sams guns, so I am a little biased.

As far as a perfect circumference is concerned, I don't like to focus on the dot, watching the movement affects my triggering, so when I am shooting my best, the dot is just an indicator to let me know the bore is pointed towards the correct target, and my triggering is what makes the shot a good one, (or not)
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Jim doesnt use the micros, his aimpoints are the comp3or 4 with 4 moa, at least thats what he had on his 45 and his 9mm 1911 last fall in SC. He does use a frame mount like the one pictured above. When i asked him why he used the big aimpoint, he said we (amu) had them on the shelf.
Will Hart

New National Record

Post by Will Hart »

Congratulations on the new record, Jim! One point and two Xs, so that's a good jump in score, too.

Old record of
893-57x
W. Hart
Providence, RI
09/15/1995

If anyone is interested, my old record was shot with a Hammerli 208s with a Knapp mount and old UltraDot using RWS Target Rifle ammo, and a Les Baer .45 slide mount also with the old sytle UltraDot and probably my 200gr. reloads. I had been shooting outdoor bullseye for about 4 years when I set that record.

You are still shooting strong, Jim, so good luck with more records.

Will

PS: That Keefer mount on the Hammerli looks great.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Thanks for the post Mr. Hart, you are one great shot, for your record to stand for so many years is a thing to be proud of for sure!