Help finding a replacement Model 41 rear iron sight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cgroppi

Help finding a replacement Model 41 rear iron sight

Post by cgroppi »

I'm hoping someone can help me locate a rear iron sight for my 5.5" S&W Model 41 barrel. I've determined that the threads in the base for the elevation screw are worn out, causing the sight to have a dead spot in the adjustment range. I (and Don Plante here in AZ) have been scouring the interwebs and calling dealers looking for one, with no luck.

The 5.5" barrel has a different sight from the 7" barrel AND not all 5.5" barrels came with the same rear sight dovetail size.

Mine has a dovetail that measures 0.550" at the widest point. The whole sight is 1.150" long, 0.710" wide and 0.400" high. I've attached pictures.

Anyone have one they are willing to sell, or know where to get one?
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo3.JPG
jackh

Post by jackh »

That looks like a Ruger sight.
Try:
http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepis ... ductid=143
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

jackh wrote:That looks like a Ruger sight.
Try:
http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepis ... ductid=143
Unfortunately, that sight is out of stock. I clicked "notify me when this is back in stock" months ago, to no avail.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

You may have already considered this, but If the screw is a standard fine thread then you might be able to repair the thread in the base with a Helicoil insert. Unfortunately, they are only available in standard fine and coarse pitches, SAE or metric, and the sight screw may have something else.

Roger
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Let me look in my parts bin later today. I may have one.
cgroppi

Success!

Post by cgroppi »

I was able to get a brand new sight for the model 41 direct from Smith and Wesson. I decided to call again to see if I met with better luck. The first time, the phone service guy had no idea how to help me given the barrel was purchased separately from the gun. He couldn't just look up the serial number to get the right sight part number.

The second time, the service guy knew about the issue with the two possible sights, and was able to find both parts in the catalog. He then put me on hold to go talk it over with the other reps. This time, one of his colleagues knew the history. Apparently, 5.5" barrels sold from S&W with sights came with the Keng sight and with the wide dovetail like mine. Barrels sold without sights came with a Weaver style dovetail.

The new sight arrived over the holidays and I just installed it this morning. It looks like it will be a big improvement.