Hammerli 208s - Help with Decision - High End .22 pistols

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

upacreekk

Hammerli 208s - Help with Decision - High End .22 pistols

Post by upacreekk »

I have a list of 4 pistols that I want: 1) Colt Woodsman Match Target, 2) Colt Diamonback, 3) Beretta 87 Sport or 89 Target, and 4) S&W K-22/17. About a month ago, I held a Hammerli 208 International, which used to be on my list, but I didn't like the way it felt. I tried a Benelli 95 and didn't like it. I have also tried a bunch of Hi Standards and didn't like them. I tried some Rugers and didn't like them either. So, all I have now are my Browning Medalists, S&W Model 41, and S&W 617 (4", 10-shot).

Here's the dilemma: I found a Hammerli 208s in a local shop today -- It's a miracle! It was brought in by a widow and was part of a varied collection. It felt A LOT BETTER than the International. It has been shot (there is a little "stamping" on the breech face from the bolt), but it is in great shape and has ALL of the original parts (2 magazines, case, test target, manual, plastic bags, etc.). The price is $1,850, plus tax. According to the store owner, who I trust, the gun has been on consignment for a week. However, he is not ready to ask the widow if she will dicker on price yet, as he said to wait and see what happens.

I do a little bullseye shooting, but I am not a serious bullseye shooter. This is a chance to get an important, semi-rare gun. I am not sure if I should sell one of my Medalists, or use/sell one of my Smith's in a partial trade, or try to find the money some other way to acquire it. BTW, I previously sold 5 (of my 25) air guns and 2 (of my 15) air pistols in order to generate some money. And, although it would be a little "painful", I could sell a few more.

Questions: I am asking if it's worth it? In other words, how hard should I try to make it work? What would YOU do? Some straight-forward advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kent
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

If this gun still has the original iron sights it is quite rare. The sights alone are worth 250 bucks. Too bad you did not give us a few more hints as to your location. If I knew I would be calling every gun shop in a 50 mile radius in order to find out where it is so I could buy it.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Not sure what you mean by not a serious BE shooter. But hear this, the 208s is one of the best guns for BE ever.

And do not judge any BE gun on first fondling. Trust the spoken reputation it has. Note that weight changes, grip changes, trigger work, sight changes might make all the difference in the world. All on the same gun.
upacreekk

What I mean is...

Post by upacreekk »

"Not a serious BE shooter" means that I go to the indoor range and shoot at small paper targets from 50' once a week. (Please note that there is no sarcasm intended.) I also shoot air guns. I am in my 50's and do not compete. The guns I have are better than me, but I always want to know that it's me and not the gun. I also appreciate the value of a fine gun.