Model 41 Trigger Will Not Reset All The Time

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SIE107

Model 41 Trigger Will Not Reset All The Time

Post by SIE107 »

I just picked up a S&W model 41, seems to shoot great.. and also seems to like Federal AutoMatch as well.. my problem is that the trigger will not reset all the time.. you have to keep working the trigger till it will reset and then it will fire.. what is the deal.. it did this before I changed the trigger weight and after I changed the trigger weight..
David Richardson

Post by David Richardson »

Sounds like there may not be enough overtravel in the trigger. Back off the overtravel set screw by 1/8 of a turn, this may cure the problem.
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

I did that.. it is not anywhere near the trigger at all.. I took it back to the place that I bought it.. told em to fix the dang thing..
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I've heard that the newer 41's frequently have problems that require return to S&W. This sounds like the return spring cannot overcome some crunchy bits where there should be smooth movement - possibly a problem of finishing.

Please let us know how this plays out, especially if it is a mechanical problem that is not just a matter of bad finish.

Thanks

Roger
dunlap

Post by dunlap »

Sounds like a weak draw bar spring.
As always, make certain chamber and magazine are empty.
Cock hammer. Remove grips. Observe right side where grip was removed. When magazine is removed, tip of drawbar drops below sear and hairpin shaped drawbar spring is compressed. When magazine is reinserted, drawbar tip should contact sear. Magazine disconnector spring is strong coil spring but drawbar spring is weak flat spring. If pistol has been left with magazine removed for a long time, drawbar spring has probably become permanently weak.
Hope this helps,

dunlap
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

I will pass that on.. in case they don't know about that..it is worth looking at.
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

Well.. what the problem was.. it needed a new transfer bar.. 40.00 to fix.
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

Well got the pistol back.. it was the take up plate.. they fixed it and because I bought the pistol from them.. they fixed it for free.. very nice of them to do that.