UIT centerfire: Where are you holding?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

buttstock

UIT centerfire: Where are you holding?

Post by buttstock »

I'm new to shooting in our club's indoor (50 ft) UIT ("international") centerfire winter league. Where are people using for sight pictures/adjustments for the two targets?

Six o'clock for slow fire/precision?

Same for "rapid" (3 seconds fire time, 7 seconds down/sideways target), and clicking elevation UP from slow to "rapid"?

Do you use center of mass for each, or hold for 6 o'clock on the slow/precision and adjust sights down to give point of impact equalling point of aim for a center-of-mass hold on the "rapid" /big black bull target?

I don't have enough elevation on my pistol to hold at the edge/bottom of the 14"x14" target to yield a center shot on each target. Shooting a 38 special

Please share your strategy. Thank you in advance.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I hold sub six all the way through. The first time I shot the event, I thought it would be nice to change my sight picture for the duel because of that nice white bar across the center of the targets that you could use to line up your sights with a center hold, but I was dissuaded by the difficulty of changing my sights in the middle of the match and also because I am used to sub six, so in the interests of consistency I just use sub six all the way through. I only use center hold when I am shooting with a dot.
buttstock

Post by buttstock »

If you use a sub six hold on both targets, are you adjusting your sights up (going from slow fire to "rapid" fire, since it is a larger black bull) / or down shooting slow fire to rapid fire?

I guess I didn't pick up your sight adjustment strategy-if you are adjusting at all???
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have shot this course of fire about three times. If I remember correctly I used no sight adjustment at all as both targets were slightly reduced and at the 25 yard line. I can see why you would think for the larger bull for the duel, you might want to bring your sights up, or move your hold to six o clock to be in the same place relative to the ten ring, but honestly, as much bigger as the duel target is,and the correspondingly larger ten ring, I am not sure it is necessary.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I have used centre hold for both the Precision and Rapid Fire segments. Our interclub league permits use of dot sights and the match is shortened to 30 shots. However when shooting at USAS matches I use irons and again do not adjust the sights for the two stages. Too much futsing around during a match for me. I know the mistakes that happen when going from the long line to the short line in Bullseye Centre and .45 Matchs, Let's see did I click 30 turns or not-?????--"Ready on the Firing Line". "Doc"
Rover

Post by Rover »

I played around with the sub-6 o'clock hold for a while since I used it for everything else, but eventually went to center hold for this event only.

I had played with center hold for everything, but went back to sub-six.

This has worked pretty well for me once I settled in.