UltraDot 30 or UltraDot 25 for slide-mounted 1911a1 wad gun?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

buttstock

UltraDot 30 or UltraDot 25 for slide-mounted 1911a1 wad gun?

Post by buttstock »

I want to slide-mount an Ultradot sight on my 45 acp 1911a1 wad gun. Which version is preferred, and more importantly, why? : Ultradot 30 (30mm tube, 4.1 oz, or the Ultrado 25/1 inch tube @ 3.9 oz)?

Does the extra weight of the UD30 (4.1 oz) negatively impact gun performance, slide response, lock-up, handling etc? I am trying to justify if the extra field of view of the 30mm tube would translate to an advantage of target reacquistion (particularly in timed/rapid fire) compared to the 25 mm/1 inch tube.

Also, What is preferred size of fasteners for the scope base, 6x48 or 8x40?

Feedback requested. The "WHY" is as important (if not more so), than just a "vote." Pros / cons? Thanks.

Post by Guest »

I have both. I prefer the 1". The 30 mm does not have the rubber eye shade, which I find beneficial outdoors, and there are less choises for rings. I like the Weaver Quad Lock and they are not available in 30mm. I don't find the smaller field of vision any problem- there is no magnification involved like on a regular scope. The slight weight difference has not been a problem.
jackh

Post by jackh »

What "guest" said plus this

The UD 30mm size is more tube than window. The window just is not that much bigger than the 1" UD. Bulk and weight without mush else. If you want a big window get an Aimpoint Comp. If your recovery skills are still a work in progress, thats the only reason to have the big window. Otherwise stay with less weight and bulk and especially strive for the lowest mount height.

Oh yeah. The 4 dot 1" is my choice so I can play with dot size. But once a size is chosen, stay with it.