How Important is Trigger Length?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

M1Jeff

How Important is Trigger Length?

Post by M1Jeff »

I have jumped into Bullseye Shooting with both feet, with the ultimate goal of earning the Distinguished Pistol Shot medal. To that end, I purchased a Les Baer Hardball gun.

Having been blessed with less than lengthy index fingers, I have had all my other 1911s fitted with med length triggers. The Baer has a long trigger in it. How much effect does this have on accurrate bullseye shooting? Would I be better off going with Baer's short trigger (he doesn't offer a med trigger, although I could fit the same one as my others myself)?

Would it be better to have a trigger a little short or a little long?
2650 Plus

1911 Trigger length

Post by 2650 Plus »

The trigger is easy to make shorter and it should be of the length necessary to fit your fenger length. Take a close look at the point where the sear disengages and how the leverage from your trigger finger is being applied. that leverage should be [ Must be] straight back and alligned with the barrel. If the trigger is too long, grind it down until the leverage is correctly applied. This should work forever unless you see a need to change your grip. Good SHooting Bill Horton
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I'd say it would be better to have a short trigger.

You can overcome the effects of a short trigger with perfect trigger control, with a long trigger you can't.

Better still, adjust it as suggested by Bill

Post by Guest »

I also have short trigger finger and use a short trigger. I also went with an arched mainspring housing. Seems to fit my hand better and sort of cams my wrist to get a little extra length on the trigger. Hope this helps.
Chris