Adjusting the Lips of Colt Mags for the Marvel Unit 1

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

1911nut

Adjusting the Lips of Colt Mags for the Marvel Unit 1

Post by 1911nut »

Here's a old site by Bob Marvel -"Functioning Factors" for the Marvel 1911 - .22 Conversion Units.

http://marinedsa.com/Pistol%20Informati ... ioning.pdf

The way I adjusted my steel mags was to duplicate the one that worked the best but I remember the dimensions were in line with the above article.

Post by Guest »

If you are having feeding problemsI fixed mine by releaving the notch where the back of the round comes out of the mag. The old ace conversions had this releaf.
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I was having trouble getting my Marvel to function after I first got it. After a double alibi one night a shooter who had a Marvel in his box as a back-up showed me how his magazines had been altered to release the round about 1/8th of an inch sooner. He advised I do the same. I resisted because once done this can't be undone. To keep this short once I resolved my other issues I had no further troubles and I have never touched my mags except to clean them.
Dan
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have used the Metalform 22 magazines and have not experienced any issue. With the recent price increases by metalform I found tha I could also use the Ciever mags.
mikeschroeder

Re: Adjusting the Lips of Colt Mags for the Marvel Unit 1

Post by mikeschroeder »

1911nut wrote:Here's a old site by Bob Marvel -"Functioning Factors" for the Marvel 1911 - .22 Conversion Units.

The way I adjusted my steel mags was to duplicate the one that worked the best but I remember the dimensions were in line with the above article.
Hi

I did that and it worked so far. You also have to keep them clean.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have never tinkered with the Metalform mags using my Marvel conversion unit and have never expereincced any problems.
jackh

Post by jackh »

A few years ago Metalform put out magazines with terrible formed lips, especially the fronts. Mags I purchased from Marvel Precision and other retail were bad. I chose to deal direct with Metalform and got replacements that were a little better. However to get 100% function I had to reshape the entire lips to duplicate the original Colt Ace magazines. It took a bit of body and fender work.
Misny

Re: Adjusting the Lips of Colt Mags for the Marvel Unit 1

Post by Misny »

1911nut wrote:Here's a old site by Bob Marvel -"Functioning Factors" for the Marvel 1911 - .22 Conversion Units.

The Metalform magazines I recently purchased wouldn't function. I bent the feed lips. I used needle nose pliers and bent the forward parts of the rear and front feed lips to approximate the "spread" as in the article. So, far, so good.