ultradot scope

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

david wong

ultradot scope

Post by david wong »

I just received a ultradot 1 inch, red dot scope from Larry's Guns. The red dot resembles a star more than a dot, actually it looks like the remnants of a fly after it's been squatted. Is this unusual and should I send it back? I have not even mounted it yet on my Hammerli 215s. I'm also open to red dot scope recommendations. I appreciate your experienced advice.
Dave Wong

Post by Guest »

Hold the ultra dot up and look through it while you rotate (spin) it. If the bad image doesn't spin while the tube is rotated, it is your vision (astigmstism?). If the image spins, it is the ultra dot.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The aimpoints tend to have rounder dots but the trade off is that they are almost three times the price. One thing that can sometimes be done with an ultradot to improve roundness is to turn up the dot. The lower smaller setting seem to increase the distortion. If you have an uncorrected astigmatism no dot will look round to you. I have gotten past the point where I worry about the roundness of the dot. I just hold the blob in the center and focus on getting a good trigger pull. Isabel
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

This is a common defect (IMHO) with some Ultra-Dots. I generally by from Midway or Ultra Dot West rather than Larry Carter. I have sent back several Ultra Dots and Millett's for just the same reasons---until I got a "good" one. I suggest you do the same---first try the above mentioned test and then next try an iris to see if that doesn't clean it up. Above all it's NOT ASTIGMATISM. "Doc" Ye Crotchety Ole Coach
david wong

ultradot scope

Post by david wong »

I tried the visual test you recommended. The star does not rotate when I turn the scope. I think what I did wrong was pointing the scope at a wall that is ten feet away. I took the scope outside today and at 50 yards and 25 yards in the daylight, the image improved immensely. I'm good to go. Thank you all again.
dave wong
Misny

Post by Misny »

Dave,

It sounds like you are old enough to have presbyopia. When I, with my old eyes, get more light to my eye, the iris closes down. That gives me the same effect as looking through a pinhole or adjustable iris attached to my shooting glasses, i.e. Varga and Knobloch. Amazingly everything looks clearer. Good to know that there is nothing wrong with the scope. It looks like you might want to get some dedicated shooting glasses, especially if you want to shoot iron sights indoors.
andrea38

Post by andrea38 »

Hello!

The aimpoints tend to have rounder dots but the trade off is that they are almost three times the price. One thing that can sometimes be done with an ultradot to improve roundness is to turn up the dot. The lower smaller setting seem to increase the distortion. If you have an uncorrected astigmatism no dot will look round to you. I have gotten past the point where I worry about the roundness of the dot.

Ultradot

Post by catmandu »

I have always done the following.
Get a digital camera. Shoot a pic of the dot,
If the camera can't see it - its you,
If it does see it - its the scope.

Works for me.
Also a good check for when your eyes are going thru a changing phase.

Paul in NWY
tenex

Post by tenex »

I stopped shooting bullseye with my contact lenses for that reason. The dot looks fuzzy with the contacts, but round with my glasses. Interestingly enough, neither has any correction for astigmatism.

Steve.
Nicole53

Post by Nicole53 »

Ohh!

Thanks for the great info guys...
I really learn new things in this site...
Because of your help...
Good day and God bless....

how to treat depression
Jiellen29

Post by Jiellen29 »

Really works on me too...thanks for the great info,really helps me a lot....
how to treat depression
Good day!
Regardz...