Grip mounts fo 1911 to save slide weight v accuracy

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

southerncomforthemi

Grip mounts fo 1911 to save slide weight v accuracy

Post by southerncomforthemi »

Hi,

I am having an urge to go over to grip mounts for my Clarke 1911.

One of our club uses them and his accuracy seems fine...alright..he does shoot better than me...

Has anybody out there found their accuracy was worse with grip mounts?

Also who makes a good version other than aimpoint???
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

The grip mounts have their holes slotted so you can tip the mount up and down to get it pointed close to the right position for elevation. Those that have these holes only, won't stay tight for a very long time because the grip screws aren't that strong. Some of the grip mounts have secondary holes so you can drill your frame after you have the slotted one adjusted to your liking and then it will stay. I would suggest that if you like the frame scope mount after you do this, spend the money for a good frame mount and have someone that knows what they are doing install it. It is very difficult to do it right. I suspect that a 1911 will be slightly less accurate with a frame mount of any kind but I haven't seen any difinitive proof in a study. I have a frame mount on my Les Baer and I am happy with it but I also have friends that are happy with their slide mount. Both kinds of setups produce 10 ring accuracy gun capability. I saw several different names on frame mounts over the years but suspect the same company made all of them that I saw as there was very little difference.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Are you blaming the equipment rather than the fundamentals?

I see very few frame mounts on the line, never seen a grip mounted dot. Slide mounts rule. There must be a consensus reason.

Aimpoint or Ultradot are the only ones I would consider
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

----"I see very few frame mounts on the line, never seen a grip mounted dot. Slide mounts rule. There must be a consensus reason."---

The "consensus reason" is that they are way cheaper to mount on the slide. You can shoot much lighter loads with a frame mount if you desire. and IF the slide mount is more accurate, it isn't enough of a difference. A good frame mount cost about $100 and the price to install it right won't be cheap either.
Last edited by oldcaster on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

jackh wrote:I see very few frame mounts on the line, never seen a grip mounted dot. Slide mounts rule. There must be a consensus reason.
Not necessarily.
I'm pretty sure European race guns use nothing but frame mounts, from the engineering point of view I wouldn't even consider a slide mount.
5-Ring

Post by 5-Ring »

I have tried grip mounts, frame mounts, and slide mounts. They all seem to work and hold their zero. I think it is really a personal preference issue.

The con of a slide mount is that you will need to tune the load or recoil spring for reliable functioning. You may see a difference when you shoot in the winter in regards to having enough power to operate the slide. I had to cut some coils off of my recoil spring during a match.

The grip mount may not feel right in your hand. I am picky. I only shot the frame mount a few matches and didn't like the feel of the vibrations.

I have shot great scores with the slide and frame mount.
Wiley-X

Post by Wiley-X »

I've had a grip mount on my 1911 pin gun for years and never had it work loose. Maybe the secret is that it came with an extra pins that replace the mainspring housing pin and the hammer pin that screw into the mount.
hill987

Post by hill987 »

hi, you opened a can of worms, I have master shooter I shoot with and he uses grip mount. I have expert card and I use a slide mount. The les baer guns come with frame mount. What a dilemna huh? I have a grip mount for sale for 25.00 if you would like to try. That would be a cheap test> you may like the grip mount everybody is different good luck.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference the engineering comment. Please consider the way a 1911 unlocks with the barrel dropping down as the slide moves to the rear. Does it not make sense that something that delays that movement just one more mili second should work better than the opposite? So called heavy slides have been with us for many years and won competitions for as long as they have been used. However,if you just cant stand them bolt or weld a weight under the front extension, and get Travis Strahan to fit the frame mount he designed years ago. Good Shooting Bill horton
southerncomforthemi

Post by southerncomforthemi »

Hi Hill987,

I have sent you a private message would like to take the 1911 grip mount for $25...if its still for sale....thanks...

Will pay $5.00 postage if that is ok with you.