muzzle brake in bullseye. Legal?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

stubbicatt

muzzle brake in bullseye. Legal?

Post by stubbicatt »

Heya. Wondered I've seen some 22s with muzzle brakes and barrel weights and wondered whether they were legal for bullseye competition?

Thanks
Quest1

Re: muzzle brake in bullseye. Legal?

Post by Quest1 »

stubbicatt wrote:Heya. Wondered I've seen some 22s with muzzle brakes and barrel weights and wondered whether they were legal for bullseye competition?

Thanks
As long as you don't exceed the specifications as set forth in the rule book they aren't a problem. As my instructor for my coaching class once told me if you have a question on the rules read the rule book. You can download the USAS rule book on their website. The NRA rule book will cost you a couple of bucks.
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

Oh well. Don't have the manual. Since I am ignorant, are the USAS and NRA rules the same?
clark2245

Re: muzzle brake in bullseye. Legal?

Post by clark2245 »

The short answer is compensators are legal in bullseye but with the low recoil of a 22 they really don't help much. It is rare to see anyone using one and they do tend to clog up with lead and need to be cleaned which can be a pain. Weights are used a little more commonly and depending on personal preference can help get the balance and feel you want.

Clark
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

stubbicatt wrote:Oh well. Don't have the manual. Since I am ignorant, are the USAS and NRA rules the same?
That is a question with a somewhat convoluted answer. Here goes-

USAS is the National Governing Body for Olympic Shooting in the USA. USAS publishes their own implementation of the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) Rules. Muzzle brakes/compensators are not permitted on Standard Pistols (to actually answer part of your question). The USAS Rules only address the ISSF events.

NRA publishes Rules for NRA Conventional Pistol. NRA Conventional Pistol is not fired outside the USA, as far as I know. The courses of fire are different, and the rules on equipment are different. Muzzle brakes/compensators ARE permitted in NRA Conventional Pistol.

NRA also sanctions "International Style" pistol competition, and publishes their own rules. They are similar, but not an exact duplicate of the ISSF Rules.

You can get the NRA Rules as a free download from the NRA website.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

One thing to remember is that comps on .22's always seem to have a negative affect on accuracy at 50 yards. Since the recoil is so low without one, why bother. If you cleaned the 25 yard line because of it, it might be worth it. But not in my opinion.
I do know that Ruby Fox used a Tony Kidd .38 super with a comp to win titles but I doubt she needed the comp to achieve the scores she shot. The other negative about comps is the velocity of the round must be high to get any real affect from the gasses, so it's a tradeoff. One that hardly anyone uses.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

One thing to remember is that comps on .22's always seem to have a negative affect on accuracy at 50 yards. Since the recoil is so low without one, why bother. If you cleaned the 25 yard line because of it, it might be worth it. But not in my opinion.
I do know that Ruby Fox used a Tony Kidd .38 super with a comp to win titles but I doubt she needed the comp to achieve the scores she shot. The other negative about comps is the velocity of the round must be high to get any real affect from the gasses, so it's a tradeoff. One that hardly anyone uses.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »