Baikal IZH-35...Again

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Lammy1000

Baikal IZH-35...Again

Post by Lammy1000 »

I really enjoy shooting this pistol and it has proven to be 100%. This, after fixing the slam fires and broken 2nd sear spring. I never received the spare parts that new guns supposedly came with (2001 model) which makes a somewhat anal person such as I nervous. EAA has equipped me w/spare springs and firing pin, but its "exotic" i.e. not imported status does not lend itself to max confidence that someday an inexspensive, but unobtainable part will make this gun unshootable. For those that have shot many rounds through this pistol please list weak areas. Also, please list pistols that can replace this gun.
tenex

Post by tenex »

I broke the latch that holds open the slide, not exactly an essential part. Mine went back to EAA for doubling, FWIW.

I know of half a dozen IZH-35's that are in regular use, none seem to have any particular reliability issues (except the doubling problem).

I'd replace it with anything I could find with a grip that fits and a trigger I could reach. These are the things that bother me the most, you're mileage may differ. The great thing about the IZH is that they're cheap and very adjustable. Give up one of those and there are lots of options (I get beat weekly by almost all of them).

Steve.
Mike Taylor

Potentially weak areas

Post by Mike Taylor »

There is a 'hump' or cam on the trigger bar that presses the trigger bar out of engagement with the sear as the slide comes back ie acting as a disconnector. This hump broke off on my KSP200 (Walther's IZH35), resulting in the pistol going full auto. It was repaired by the selling dealer under warranty. The gunsmith that did the work said to me that parts were extremely difficult to find. I know of one other KSP200/IZH35 that had this broken disconnector problem. I believe the owner repaired the trigger bar himself by brazing on a suitable 'hump'.
Fred Mannis

Re: Baikal IZH-35...Again

Post by Fred Mannis »

Lammy1000 wrote:I really enjoy shooting this pistol and it has proven to be 100%. This, after fixing the slam fires and broken 2nd sear spring. I never received the spare parts that new guns supposedly came with (2001 model) which makes a somewhat anal person such as I nervous. EAA has equipped me w/spare springs and firing pin, but its "exotic" i.e. not imported status does not lend itself to max confidence that someday an inexspensive, but unobtainable part will make this gun unshootable. For those that have shot many rounds through this pistol please list weak areas. Also, please list pistols that can replace this gun.
If you like the gun that much (and I can understand that since I own one also), you should buy a spare.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

I agree. Real shame these are no longer imported...used target guns that I am not witness to their performance make me uneasy.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

pgs 7 - 8 of the manual describes the spares kit. I'd imagine that these correspond with the most frequently replaced components.

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/45.html

And NOTHING can replace the IZH 35!

You'd have to miniaturize a tractor and fit a barrel to it ;)

But if it's really bothering you, look for a nice mid-priced standard pistol (e.g. a Pardini or Benelli).
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'm heading out this week to buy a table top milling machine. I think that is the best insurance one could buy to keep the older pistols shooting.
Ben
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

New observation: I had a second sear spring fail due to corrosion weakening this item. My new, in the bag, spring has started to rust, so always keep a coating of oil on these Russian springs.