Which pistol is most like the IZH 35M?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Russ_57

Which pistol is most like the IZH 35M?

Post by Russ_57 »

I have been trying to shot as many .22 pistols as I can to determine what I like. The other day I got a chance to shot the IZH and I loved it. The gun is no longer imported and service/parts could be a problem so I'd rather not look for a used one.

So what other pistols feel the same? In particular I liked the sights and the trigger. I think the grips were stock and they fit well too. I'd say I have a large hand with short fingers. I tried an AW93 and didn't care for the amount of rake that the grips had. For some reason I don't shoot the M41 well. I could handle a Ruger but I wouldn't mind something a little nicer.

So needs to be reliable, ideally cheap, feel like the IZH, and good enough for bullseye work. Any advice?

Russ
MSC

Post by MSC »

Have you tried a Benelli MP95?

I've never shot a IZH35 to compare to Benelli's I've had, but I think the Benelli fills at least 3 of your 4 requirements.

reliable, ideally cheap, feel like the IZH, and good enough for bullseye work

The Beneli trigger, while very decent, won't be up to spec with the IZH. And it's only single-stage. But you do get a lot for your money in the IZH. It's a shame they didn't have a bigger presence in the way of service/support.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Russ,
The model 41 isn't a good gun if you have short fingers. I have fairly long fingers, and with a Nill grip it fits perfect, but I know 2 people that have a lot of problems shooting them due to the position of the trigger (which really can't be moved aft) and their small hand size.

The Italian guns seem to have a lot of rake in the grip. If you like a more upright grip, you can try to find a used High Standard military grip model, they generally have great triggers, and you might be able to find an aluminum sleeved barrel if you want to use a dot and keep the weight down. The european guns might be a better bet if you like a dot and are concerned about weight, as they seem to run a bit lighter than the american target pistols which are all based on designs that go back to the days of iron sights and run in the 42 to 48 oz range (not that that's a bad thing).

Another option might be a Walther GSP. They have a more upright grip, and are pretty adjustable as well as being pretty reliable.

Steve.

P.S. One gun I have always wanted was a Unique DES96. Probably one of the most elegant target pistols ever made, but Unique (and factory support) are long gone.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I think that someone makes an alternative grip for the AW93 - one closer to a 1911 grip.

BTW the AW93 action is significantly different than the IZH 35. You'll often read that they're basically identical, but this is inaccurate.

The Xesse ( aka Trailside ) is another pistol to consider. I really don't like the stock trigger assembly on these, but there are aftermarket alternatives.
MSC

Post by MSC »

The GSP might very well be a good candidate for your large hand/short fingers, Russ. I tried one recently and despite a proper size grip, my long, thin fingers seemed to reach into the trigger area too much. I'd call the trigger/grip relationship "more compact" than most other target guns. They seem to be very reasonable $-wise when they come up in auction by private parties. But dealers are always asking well over $1,000 it seems.

Oh, and I apologize for my original mis-directed suggestion above, for the Benelli... Think I was half asleep when I replied, and somehow inferred that you wanted MORE rake than the FWB. I've always thought them to be pretty upright, but I guess not so.

On a related note, after owning probably 10 low-mid/upper end target guns in the past year or so... I find that the magazine-forward guns seem to be notably easier to fire good scores in timed/rapid fire. Likely that most have a low bore axis, are forward-balanced, etc... But as a relatively new BE shooter, put a Ruger/Buckmark/Smith 41 in my hand, and I need to be on my game to shoot 90 or above timed/rapid. Give me a Benelli/Pardini/Hammerli and 90+ is very easy.
tenex

Post by tenex »

MSC wrote:...
On a related note, after owning probably 10 low-mid/upper end target guns in the past year or so... I find that the magazine-forward guns seem to be notably easier to fire good scores in timed/rapid fire. Likely that most have a low bore axis, are forward-balanced, etc... But as a relatively new BE shooter, put a Ruger/Buckmark/Smith 41 in my hand, and I need to be on my game to shoot 90 or above timed/rapid. Give me a Benelli/Pardini/Hammerli and 90+ is very easy.
I think most inexpensive guns used for bullseye have 2 issues: They're very heavy with a dot (generally being designed for iron sights), and the grips are not very orthopedic. When I started shooting Bullseye I worried a lot about the trigger, lots of fooling around and home gunsmithing. Now I worry much more about grip, and weight and balance. My original Ruger weighed 56 oz, and hade a fairly difficult to hold grip (no wonder I had issues). Most of the european guns are quite a bit lighter, so are more suitable with a dot (wheather they were designed for one or not). I think more rake actually helps with a dot. Upright grips can be made even more upright by raising the sightline with a dot. I have a model 41 that feels like I have to pry the barrel up to shoot with a dot. The same gun with iron sights is much more comfortable to hold, it's like a different gun.

I've since gone back and built a Ruger with a proper anatomical grip, and when I get a dot on it (1" dot with aluminum mount and rings, not a 30 mm dot with the massive Ruger steel rings and mount my original had) I'll give it a run and see how well I do with it.

Although I also really like the magazine forward guns, I think if I had a decent grip that fit properly and a gun that didn't weigh a ton I would do pretty good.

Steve.

P.S. I haven't tried this, but since guns like the Benelli and Pardini have nothing in the grips, and fairly flexible mounting, you might be able to shim the grip more upright and get a better fit.