Amount of pressure on your grip

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Amount of pressure on your grip

Post by Mass Shooter »

Do you your rest your thumb on the thumb rest area of your grip?

I've been experimenting by keeping my thumb off of the grip to not influence unnecessary "torque" pressure. It appears to be helpful.
Curious what other styles of hand/grip pressure you use to maximize ultraconsistency. ... Any thoughts?
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Depends on the gun and grip........
I am also experimenting the same way - diffferent results on different days
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I have always been tought not to put any pressure on with your thumb. it is ok to sit it on there but not to applie pressure
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

keeping my thumb off of the grip

This can have a similar affect to pressing with the thumb - though the bias is in the opposite direction.

Try pressing vs projecting your thumb and watch the movement of the front sight.

I try to have a neutral thumb. It just sits where it falls naturally. For me, that's against my middle finger, but other people like a higher thumb position.
2650 Plus

Grip Presure

Post by 2650 Plus »

How much grip pressure will provide the shooter with the most stable and uniform grip from shot to shot ? And all I can say is that it seems to vary depending on the shooter. Just an idea to try. Set up a spring gage for weight and equip it with a grip that can be compressed while th spring gage [scale] measures the pressure being applied. I suggest you not be concerned about the ammount of pressure as much as your are about the steadiness of the needle on the gage. Then ,on the other hand , you might just take a wild guess at the ammount pf pressure and keep on shooting. Experence should allow you to develope an accurate feel for the pressure you need to apply. Good Shooting Bill Horton
jackh

Post by jackh »

Experiment with different grip/hold techniques and pressures. Should see results at the sight, and feel results in the hand. Use a blank wall backdrop at first so you will concentrate on results at the gun. Get satisfied with alignment and stability by what you see with dryfire on a blank wall. Then fire on a blank target to add the grip requirements for recoil management. Still you are working at the gun. Add the target bull later.
Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

I have found that pressing downward on the thumb rest on my 41 helps to stabilize things a bit and so far no adverse effects, only better groups.

Your milage may vary