Gallery Match Slow-Fire Observation

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Gallery Match Slow-Fire Observation

Post by Mass Shooter »

Was watching a terrific shooter on the firing line during the Slow-Fire relay. ... The shooter would take a single shot, then rest a while, take two shots in a row, then rest, take a single shot then rest, install new clip, take two shots, rest, than a single shot until all 10 shots were taken. No exact pattern to the sequence but I presume when he thought he was in the "X" zone he kept aim and fired until tired, then rested.
Just an observation but his score was 96 SF 100 TF and 99 RF This happened during our .22 gallery match last evening.
Anyone have a similar pattern or do you fire, rest, fire, rest so on etc.?

Just curious
bob v

Post by bob v »

I usually rest between shots but I like your observation. It's true sometimes I know when the shots on and when it's not. So next week when I feel on I'll try two and see how it works out.....bob v
mikejkd

Post by mikejkd »

I sometimes take two shot if after I pull the trigger it is still settled. I don't know if its right but it works for me.
mikejkd

Post by mikejkd »

I have to add I am not a 290 shooter like the gentleman you were watching, more like a 275ish shooter.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

mikejkd wrote:I sometimes take two shot if after I pull the trigger it is still settled. I don't know if its right but it works for me.
I do the same.

Lately I shoot a free pistol often enough to where I only shoot on at a time in SF Bullseye.
arjuna70

Re: Gallery Match Slow-Fire Observation

Post by arjuna70 »

Thanks for posting this. We had a clinic at our club from a CT State Champ last year and he recommended the same thing. If the shot is there then take it. In general he felt that people try to hold too long for the perfect shot and don't commit early enough. He tried to get us to acquire the target and shoot in practice drills. That's where he said that its okay to shoot again if the shot is there. He also recommended evenly paced Timed Fire as the best practice for this strategy.

I've been getting into Air Pistol so I try to rest and go through my shot plan before every shot. I am tempted to "double-tap" so to speak but I don't do it. I'm just not sure if it is better to stay consistent on slow fire rounds or try to shoot again if the sights are right.
mikejkd

Post by mikejkd »

arjuna70 sounds like we are in the same league. Who do you shoot for? I am out of Massasoit. I am guessing Pinetree with a CT person coming to you.
2650 Plus

Post subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference multiple shots during slow fire courses, It may be of interest for our friends to know that T.D. Smith often fired several shots on one raise and may have done the same in the Tokyo olympics as I heard he fired his S&W model 41 in the free pistol match. Bet that was a shock to the int. guys . Good Shooting Bill Horton
Rover

Post by Rover »

2650 Plus

I watched a guy do that at a big match and win.

Sure made me cringe.
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

mikejkd wrote:arjuna70 sounds like we are in the same league. Who do you shoot for? I am out of Massasoit. I am guessing Pinetree with a CT person coming to you.
I shoot for Providence Revolver but I haven't made many matches this year. I think I was being a little ambitious joining the league since I have a young family and getting them to sleep always takes priority over the league.

I do shoot at the Sharon 900 Matches & Angletree 2700. I'm however starting to get into the Air Pistol and International and may back off a bit on the NRA matches.

I still don't know whether to double tap or go through the shot plan each time. Seems like this is a shot plan type of group.
guests

Post by guests »

. . . pretty sure TD would have been DQd for loading more than one round during Free Pistol . . .

Back to the main point, as part of your recovery phase (immediately following follow through), you should reaqcuire the front sight, realign the sights, and achieve a good settle while taking up trigger slack. You should *always* practice this recovery process.

So, after shot "N" you are settled in the aiming area, with good front sight focus and slack/first stage taken up.

Why on earth would anyone walk away from a 10?

Steve Swartz
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Very good comments, I will begin practicing to reaquire the sight and follow through. "I think walking away from a 10" is a great comment and makes perfect sense.
mikejkd

Post by mikejkd »

arjuna70,

Is the air pistol league in this area? This is also something I have been thinking about.

Mike
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Well, I gave he two-fire method a try at the range and it felt good. Shot 8 SF targets and varied my two shot sequence. When the arm was tired I let down, ... when the dot was centered a shot was taken. Scores ranged from 90 to 84. That's about pretty average but I can see opportunity for improved scores down the road. I like the way it feeled.
Good comments from all, .... Thanks!
jackh

Post by jackh »

The better the grip/hold and followthrough, the better the recovery. But the recovery should be a natural flow. A messed up recovery follows from 1. forcing it, or 2. from a messed up grip/hold or followthrough.

That said, I often do not recover in SF. Just like the cannon that rolls back on it's carriage, I followthrough on the sights and let the recoil rock me back.
Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

I actually just tried this yesterday while practicing. I was thinking why are 98-100 so easy in timed/rapid and my groups tight but my slow fire score are 80's?

So I tried a few targets at my timed fire tempo and by golly I shot mid 90's on all 3. I may implement this process on Thursday during leagues and see how it works. I have some more practice time between then and now if it goes well again what the heck! I need the points I am 3 points out of first right now!!!
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Scores have improved dramaticly from mid 80's to mid 90's with a few random 95's & 96,.... feeling good! :-)
jackh

Post by jackh »

Are you guys out for score or for learning to make the shot?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

jackh wrote:Are you guys out for score or for learning to make the shot?
I thought they were telling us they learned how to make the shot based on how much better their scores are.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

some times an emsdiate gain in scores can also have less potential in the long run to produce as higher score