Benneli MP90S 22LR

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Benneli MP90S 22LR

Post by Mass Shooter »

Greetings, this is my first post.

I have general question regarding the Benneli MP90S 22LR:

Those who compete in Bullseye competiton, are you happy with your model MP90S? ... Any quirks about it? ... What 22LR ammo does it seem most happy with? .... I'm curious on the Aguila 22LR line (the less quality price) do they perform and cycle well? ... Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
MSC

Post by MSC »

I've had two MP95's (same gun minus the adj trigger and Nills grips).

I was very pleased with their functioning and accuracy. They shot exceptionally well with Aguila Rifle Match (Pistol match not nearly as good for whatever reason). I hear Wolf is very accurate in them, too. Never bothered to try more costly though, as the Aguila gave me a ragged, single hole.

Quirks: One thing I can think of is that the ejection is almost straight up. Hits the bottom of your dot if you've got one mounted. I've heard of folks that have had the cases bounce back into the chamber, but never experienced that myself. Higher rings would help there.
The other thing is that it's got two attachments for rings, one for standard size (there is only one short section ahead of the chamber) and then two places, in front of and behind the chamber, for rimfire rings. Larry's has the rimfire rings, or I believe Simmons Angle-Loc work well.

All in all, I think an excellent pistol. I know shooters that have put 10's of thousands of rounds through there's, and all I've ever heard of is occasional broken firing pins. I've moved on to a Pardini SP. Outside of a better trigger, there's really nothing better about it, to me. I almost think the Benelli was more forgiving...
Fred

Post by Fred »

In contrast, my MP95 hates Aguila, will not function with it or with any of the Mexican-made ammo. And, it ejects nicely to the right side. So, you win some and lose some ;-)

FredB
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Thank you for your comments, .. another question comes to mind;
When cleaning the bore can you perform cleaning from the breach or is at from the end of the barrel only?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Mass Shooter wrote:Thank you for your comments, .. another question comes to mind;
When cleaning the bore can you perform cleaning from the breach or is at from the end of the barrel only?
You should always clean from the breach. If not a rod, then a Patchworm, Otis, VFG, or some other pull through.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Fred Mannis wrote:
Mass Shooter wrote:Thank you for your comments, .. another question comes to mind;
You should always clean from the breach. If not a rod, then a Patchworm, Otis, VFG, or some other pull through.
Thank you Fred Mannis, I presumed this was the best way.

I'm hoping other Benelli owners can tell me the MP90S .22LR is easily cleaned from the breach. .... Is it an easy process or does anything need to be disassembled for breach cleaning? ....
Bill Treanor

MP-90S Ammo Likes & Dislikes

Post by Bill Treanor »

I've been shooting an MP-90S for several months and shot it in my second Bullseye match back in October. I enjoy shooting it. I have found that CCI Pistol Match gives me the best groups at 50 yds, but my shooting ability doesn't really warrant the added expense. I use CCI Standard Velocity also.

I tried S&K Pistol Match but had some problems with it doubling. Switching to CCI solved the problem.

I did have one empty bounce off the bottom of my red dot scope and wedge between the bolt and the barrel causing my first alibi. However, I cleaned my first target (ever!) with it in timed fire :-)
Mass Shooter

Re: MP-90S Ammo Likes & Dislikes

Post by Mass Shooter »

Bill Treanor wrote:I've been shooting an MP-90S for several months and shot it in my second Bullseye match back in October. I enjoy shooting it. I have found that CCI Pistol Match gives me the best groups at 50 yds, but my shooting ability doesn't really warrant the added expense. I use CCI Standard Velocity also.

I tried S&K Pistol Match but had some problems with it doubling. Switching to CCI solved the problem.

I did have one empty bounce off the bottom of my red dot scope and wedge between the bolt and the barrel causing my first alibi. However, I cleaned my first target (ever!) with it in timed fire :-)
Bill Treanor, do you find you need to remove the scope when it comes time to clean your MP90S from the breach?
GOVTMODEL

Re: MP-90S Ammo Likes & Dislikes

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Bill Treanor wrote: I tried S&K Pistol Match but had some problems with it doubling. Switching to CCI solved the problem.
Slam firing is a serious enough problem that I'd look for a more mechanical solution than changing ammunition. Things to check would include-

a. Headspace
b. Peening of the slide face
c. Firing pin sticking in its channel for some reason.

Best wishes-

Richard Ashmore
Bill Treanor

Post by Bill Treanor »

I use a Bore Snake to clean from the breech end, but only after every few hundred rounds, mainly to prevent a build-up of crud in the chamber that might affect reliability.

And it's not necessary to remove the scope to use the bore snake. The only downside to the design is that you have to remove the scope to remove the bolt assembly from the receiver, and removing the scope necessitates sighting-in again.
PaulTNY

Larrys Guns

Post by PaulTNY »

I got a really nice mount from Larry Carter that eliminates the need to re zero the scope. So far, I like it alot, thinking of getting one for my other benelli too !
Fred

Re: Larrys Guns

Post by Fred »

PaulTNY wrote:I got a really nice mount from Larry Carter that eliminates the need to re zero the scope. So far, I like it alot, thinking of getting one for my other benelli too !
Paul,

That mount is listed on Larry's site as weighing 6 oz. Since the Benelli is already somewhat front-heavy, how does the mount with optic (say another 5 oz) affect the overall weight and balance?

TIA,
FredB
PaulTNY

Larrys Guns Mount

Post by PaulTNY »

I have to admit, it makes the front of the pistol pretty heavy and I was initially extremely concerned about it. Just practicing my stance with it made me think that I was going to call Larry to see if there was a way to lighten it up ( I was thinking that the barrel weight might be lessened) .
But I had a match right away and said "oh well" guess Im gonna be using it just the way it is.
Well, I have a substantial handicap, my average was a 160 shooting my KART 1911.
My first time shooting the benelli I shot a 237, not a bad increase !! I loved the way the pistol handled. The weight is definately noticable but I really believe its helped me, especially in timed and rapid fire.
The next time I shot it I scored in the mid 240s
Last night I shot it again and shot a 252
So, Im seeing marked improvement each time I take it out and get more acustomed to it. I only have about 150 rds thru it and I couldnt be happier.
Needless to say, Im not touching that mount !!! I LOVE IT
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Lots of good information on this topic and I'm grateful for all the replies.

PaulTNY would you mind me asking what ammo you are using and what doesn't play well with the MP90S?

Regards
PaulTNY

MP 95

Post by PaulTNY »

Im actually shooting the MP95 which I believe is the same pistol minus the upgraded trigger and grips.
I have been using Lapua and Mag Tech ( sp) ammo.
I havent noticed any appreciable difference in the two.
Last night I shot the show fire with Mag Tech and scored a 78
Then I shot the timed fire with Mag tech - score 87
Then rapid fire with Lapua - score 87
I really dont see any big changes between them, never had an alibi with this pistol.
Im gathering my equipment now to start reloading .32

Re: Benneli MP90S 22LR

Post by Guest »

Did you even read the post about Benelli stating about the preferred .22lr ammo?

Mass Shooter wrote:Greetings, this is my first post.

Those who compete in Bullseye competiton, are you happy with your model MP90S? ... Any quirks about it? ... What 22LR ammo does it seem most happy with? .... I'm curious on the Aguila 22LR line (the less quality price) do they perform and cycle well? ... Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mass Shooter

Re: Benneli MP90S 22LR

Post by Mass Shooter »

Anonymous wrote:Did you even read the post about Benelli stating about the preferred .22lr ammo?

Mass Shooter wrote:Greetings, this is my first post.

Regards
Yes, I certainly did read the 1st Benelli post. I wanted to querry others who have tried different ammo and are satisified with their choice. At my level of competitive shooting I like to explore all options for optimal value. ... Not long after my opening thread I contacted Larry Carter in Gray, ME and he mentioned 5 other popular brands that perform and cycle very well.

Kindest regards
Kindest regards
Lebayer

MP95 Grip Removal

Post by Lebayer »

While we're on the subject of Benelli MP's, does anyone know how to remove the stock grips from the MP95E? I just received mine, and I have a pair of Nill grips I'd like to install but it looks to require a very thin walled socket, unless I'm not seeing the nut correctly.

Thanks for the help.
WaltherGSPmannetje

Re: MP95 Grip Removal

Post by WaltherGSPmannetje »

If you find the way to do this could you please post the "how to" ? I too have a mp95 kromo, it has Nill grips attached to it and I would like to detach those just for thourough cleaning matters.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Btw, the Benelli rocks and shoots like a razorblade..

Lebayer wrote:While we're on the subject of Benelli MP's, does anyone know how to remove the stock grips from the MP95E? I just received mine, and I have a pair of Nill grips I'd like to install but it looks to require a very thin walled socket, unless I'm not seeing the nut correctly.

Thanks for the help.
Labayer

Grip Removal

Post by Labayer »

Turns out that what is required for grip removal is a longish 6mm hex wrench. The one I tried initially didn't work because it had a ball end and there wasn't enough space in the nut to properly grip. Once I used a square end, worked fine.

To remove the Nill grips, unscrew the bolt holding the palm rest, drop out the threaded cylinder, and use the hex wrench to remove the grip.

Lee