Advantage Arms .22 Conversion

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

Advantage Arms .22 Conversion

Post by Misny »

I have been thinking of getting an AA target conversion for a 1911. Is the "Target" model accurate enough to compete at 50 yards slow fire, out of the box? I've heard that someone is taking the "Target" version and accurizing it. Can someone give me information as to a website or other contact information about this enhanced version, its price and availability. TIA
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

If this is the Marvel model, they're not available yet. Marvel Precision is taking orders, but I'd advise you to wait until it's confirmed that they're shipping before sending any money.
jackh

Post by jackh »

The "new" 22 conversion we are waiting for is this:
Advantage Arms/ Marvel Match .22 conversion unit from Bob Marvel Guns.

The present "Marvel" is a product of Marvel Precision.

Different companies.
Misny

Post by Misny »

So how is the AA Target model out of the box?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Can't speak on the Advantage Arms target model conversion, or of course the Bob Marvel target version yet, but I can say the AA Standard model is excellent. I have one to work on hardball trigger indoors.
My local store dealer has been unable to locate any more Advantage Arms units of any kind. Not even for Glocks. Advantage Arms on the phone said they are 8 weeks or so behind to deliver one of their own target models.

I have a feeling that the Advantage Arms target version by itself will be very good. After Bob Marvel works one over in his shop, they ought to be super.

To clarify the Advantage Arms models
On their website:
Standard model
Target Model

Bob Marvel Guns will take and upgrade an AA target model for a third choice.
Last edited by jackh on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Just so we are on the same page, you did mean Advantage Arms, didn't you?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Misny wrote:Just so we are on the same page, you did mean Advantage Arms, didn't you?
Yes. Duh on me. I am at times too stoopid. Thanks Mike

It is corrected
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'd like to revive this thread. Has anyone bought either the Advantage Arms Target 1911 .22 conversion or the Bob Marvel Pro? It seems like these have been touted for quite some time, but I don't know if they are actually being produced. If you have one, can you fill us in on the conversions.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Mike
I have now all three
1) Marvel Precision (MP) for several years. Excellent conversion except I do not like the lack of hold open and the way the extractor fits the groove on the barrel breech. The only magazine that give me total service are the Metalform once they are reformed to match the original Colt magazines.

2) Advantage Arms (AA) 1911T. Excellent in function. Eley at best is 1" at 50y from the Ransom. Slide holds back, but the screws did fall out of the slide stop insert during the Ransom testing. An easy fix with AA advice to use loctite. I am not sure if they loctited them from the factory. I would think not.

3) Bob Marvel (BM) Custom Pro which is a rebarreled AA 1911T. It lives up to it's accuracy claims (in the 1/2" area at 50y) . Bob Marvel also said to loctite the screws if they come out. Being just like the AA conversion, it functions excellent.

All together I believe the BM conversion to be the best choice. Will have to watch the slide stop screws though. I did notice and so did Roddy that my hammer gets an imprint from the hole around the firing pin head. Something else to watch on both the AA and the BM.

Add that service from AA has been excellent. Fairly easy to get ahold of them. Bob Marvel give excellent service but harder to get ahold of. I have not contacted MP for a long time but in past had good service.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

I just returned from Camp Perry where Bob had several of his conversions on display. It seems to me the new conversion is very similar to his older one, and why not the older ones work great.
I've had a original conversion since about 2002 and it's been great until recently. So I took it to the older Marvel people and they said it needed a new barrel because of the extractor breaking through the side of the chamber. They say it might be covered by warranty?

Back to the original topic, the word I heard was that Bob is having problems getting the conversions built and so that is why it's been slow getting his version out. He is a stickler over the details which goes hand in hand with his excellent products. There was a big signup sheet to get one so the demand is only going to get more backed up. Everyone wants them because they are arguably the best, and people want the best. It takes time.

My personal opinion is getting his original design is worth it because it's available now and the newer one is not much of a update, nothing earth shattering in the redesign.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

I just returned from Camp Perry where Bob had several of his conversions on display. It seems to me the new conversion is very similar to his older one, and why not the older ones work great.
I've had a original conversion since about 2002 and it's been great until recently. So I took it to the older Marvel people and they said it needed a new barrel because of the extractor breaking through the side of the chamber. They say it might be covered by warranty?

Back to the original topic, the word I heard was that Bob is having problems getting the conversions built and so that is why it's been slow getting his version out. He is a stickler over the details which goes hand in hand with his excellent products. There was a big signup sheet to get one so the demand is only going to get more backed up. Everyone wants them because they are arguably the best, and people want the best. It takes time.

My personal opinion is getting his original design is worth it because it's available now and the newer one is not much of a update, nothing earth shattering in the redesign.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Part of the long wait from BM was due to his requested design changes on the base AA unit. By late 2008 they raised the boreline about .030 according to what I have gleaned from both AA and BM. That raise cascaded into a number of engineering changes. Now they are all resolved.
Misny

Post by Misny »

jackh wrote:Mike
I have now all three
1) Marvel Precision (MP) for several years. Excellent conversion except I do not like the lack of hold open and the way the extractor fits the groove on the barrel breech. The only magazine that give me total service are the Metalform once they are reformed to match the original Colt magazines.

2) Advantage Arms (AA) 1911T. Excellent in function. Eley at best is 1" at 50y from the Ransom. Slide holds back, but the screws did fall out of the slide stop insert during the Ransom testing. An easy fix with AA advice to use loctite. I am not sure if they loctited them from the factory. I would think not.

3) Bob Marvel (BM) Custom Pro which is a rebarreled AA 1911T. It lives up to it's accuracy claims (in the 1/2" area at 50y) . Bob Marvel also said to loctite the screws if they come out. Being just like the AA conversion, it functions excellent.

All together I believe the BM conversion to be the best choice. Will have to watch the slide stop screws though. I did notice and so did Roddy that my hammer gets an imprint from the hole around the firing pin head. Something else to watch on both the AA and the BM.

Add that service from AA has been excellent. Fairly easy to get ahold of them. Bob Marvel give excellent service but harder to get ahold of. I have not contacted MP for a long time but in past had good service.
Thanks for the excellent response. The BM PRO sounds like something that might be a good fit for me. Have you had a chance to test with any other ammo besides the Eley Tenex?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Th BM test target was with Wolf. They did not indicate ME or MT. I shot Wolf across sandbags and so far I believe it will live up to the test group in the 1/2" area. More later.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I suppose I'll have to go another route than the Bob Marvel Custom Pro 22 Conversion. They don't have any contact information listed on their website. I guess that they don't want any more orders at this time.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the website info Jack. I wrote Bob Marvel and we'll see what happens.
kokopeli

Original Marvel conversion

Post by kokopeli »

I have an early Bob Marvel unit built by him when he was with Marvel precision. It has the Schueman barrel and can not demonstrate accuracy with bulk ammo. Which ammo is best to try on a cost effective basis to attempt to match the accuracy shown by the shot badge? This is 3/4 inch at 50 yards.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I don't own a Marvel Conversion yet, but I do own a Hammerli 208s. If by bulk ammo, you mean cheap ammo, like CCI Blazer, Winchester Wildcat, etc...well, you have to use good ammo to get good groups. I suggest starting off with CCI Standard Velocity or Aguila for the lower end and work your way up through, SK Jagd (Wolf) until you get to the upper end of the price spectrum, i.e. Lapua or Eley. I'm not sure, maybe Jack can comment on this, but you may have to change recoil springs to get positive functioning with standard velocity .22 ammo. You will have to THOROUGHLY clean your barrel before you start your testing. You may also need the use of a machine rest to get good data and all your tests should be at 50 yards. The difference in group sizes between lets say, Winchester Wildcat and CCI Standard Velocity, out of a good gun is dramatic.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

My Marvel unit (an original when Bob Marvel owned the enterprise) will function with CCI SV, Aguilla SE(SV) and SKJ Pistol Match, Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra. At 50 ft all of the above will get you in the 10 ring in slow fire. At the longer ranges one can see the differences with Wolf match Extra providing the smallest groups - i could not hold any vbetter with any pricier ammo.