Optic for .22 pistol?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Noebb

Optic for .22 pistol?

Post by Noebb »

I’m planning on getting into some competitions in the near future and “think” I would like to get some type of optic for my new 22.

Where should I start, what is important when choosing the optic?

Just purchased a new Ruger MKIII hunter. It will be a starter, as I get better and after I start competing consistently I’ll likely upgrade.

I have not been able to find much on this forum about optics for handguns. Specifically those that are optimal for competition.

So my question to all of the experts here what type of optic should I start with? I think I like prefer pistol scopes to red dots because of the magnification, but I have no idea what would be practical or help me improve skill.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Optic for .22 pistol?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Noebb wrote:So my question to all of the experts here what type of optic should I start with? I think I like prefer pistol scopes to red dots because of the magnification, but I have no idea what would be practical or help me improve skill.
99+% of the shooters at Camp Perry have a red dot sight, and I'll go out on a limb and say the Ultra Dot is by far the most popular. (N/A for the CMP events.)

I personally know exactly one (1) shooter using a telescopic sight.

Post by Guest »

The only 'optic' I recommend is some sort of aperture on spectacles, or specialized shooting glasses with an aperture. That is all you need for target work. Use them with the iron sights and learn to shoot.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Buy from Ruger a Patridge type front sight like on their "bull barrel". Also buy from Volquartsen their BoMar style adjustable rear sight. Add a Weaver style base. Add an Ultradot 1" regular dot sight. Now you can practice either iron sights or dot sight shooting. If you need a vision prescription to see the front iron sight clearly, see the Norman Wong articles linked here.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
Also for the best scope ring to mount the Ultradot, use Burris Zee rings in low size. If you choose to not use iron sights, you might be able to fit the super low Zee rings.

Oh and the red dots do not magnify. It is not needed for bullseye shooting to 50 yards. A few people use the 2x20 Leupold pistol scope. Your hold must be very good to do so.
Quest1

Post by Quest1 »

Noebb wrote:I’m planning on getting into some competitions in the near future and “think” I would like to get some type of optic for my new 22.

Where should I start, what is important when choosing the optic?

Just purchased a new Ruger MKIII hunter. It will be a starter, as I get better and after I start competing consistently I’ll likely upgrade.

I have not been able to find much on this forum about optics for handguns. Specifically those that are optimal for competition.

So my question to all of the experts here what type of optic should I start with? I think I like prefer pistol scopes to red dots because of the magnification, but I have no idea what would be practical or help me improve skill.
What type of shooting do you want to participate in? International or NRA Bullseye, steel animal targets, general plinker, or etc? Most of the posts on this forum are directed towards international bullseye, which doesn't allow optics or electronic sights.
Noebb

Post by Noebb »

Quest1 wrote:
What type of shooting do you want to participate in? International or NRA Bullseye, steel animal targets, general plinker, or etc? Most of the posts on this forum are directed towards international bullseye, which doesn't allow optics or electronic sights.

Honestly I'm not really sure. Just wanting to get into some competitions figure out what type of match I enjoy most and go from there. I'm pretty sure that I'll do some NRA bullseye and maybe some international but I am aware that optics are not allowed for this one. I will also do plinking and some hunting (a first with a pistol).

I do however want to try optics but not sure what to get. I like the magnification of the scopes and with a .22 I don't think I'll have any problem keeping it on target/re acquiring the target. The only advantage that I see for a red dot is that if I don't like it on the pistol. I can put it on my shotgun for turkey/dear or on a 10/22 for plinking/rabbits/etc.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Noebb wrote: I do however want to try optics but not sure what to get. I like the magnification of the scopes and with a .22 I don't think I'll have any problem keeping it on target/re acquiring the target. The only advantage that I see for a red dot is that if I don't like it on the pistol. I can put it on my shotgun for turkey/dear or on a 10/22 for plinking/rabbits/etc.
JackH has given you some good advice - don't use optics with magnification for Bullseye competition. You will have a problem keeping it on target. The only shooter I know using a 2x Leupold is a High Master.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Noebb,
The red dot has a few advantages over the 1x scope, mainly that it doesn't need to form an internal image and the sight picture is just like looking through a toilet paper tube, no problems with the image moving around or eye relief/exit pupil issues (and it's cheaper). I like the plain 1" ultradot, simple, reliable, and light.

although I do like iron sights, it is a lot more work. The red dot is actually cheaper, when you factor in the cost of fancy shooting glasses and special lenses. The truth is for some people it's very hard to get a good sight picture with iron sights, and they have great difficulty. I've spend a ton of time getting my glasses in order, and I still struggle a bit.

Good luck with whatever you chose,
Steve.
wlambert

Post by wlambert »

I use a 30mm UltraDot on all my Bullseye guns. UltraDot seems to be the most popular and is a good value for the money.
Allgoodhits

Red Dot scopes

Post by Allgoodhits »

wlambert wrote:I use a 30mm UltraDot on all my Bullseye guns. UltraDot seems to be the most popular and is a good value for the money.
+1 On the 30mm Ultradot scopes or the Ultradot 4 DOT or Ultradot Match DOT versions. Reasonably priced, Life Time warranty and long battery life.

MJ
6string

Post by 6string »

I know one guy who used to use a Leopold 2x on a S&W 41. He was already a Master. You need a rock steady hold, and more importantly a well developed trigger control, to get results with magnification, IMHO. The magnification of movement in your hold, which everyone has, will make developing good trigger control and follow-through seem counter-intuitive. I wouldn't even go that way as an experiment since you may very well ingrain some habits that can be very difficult to break!
Stick with a red dot or iron sights.
Just my 2 cents....
Best Regards!!
slavetoturf

Post by slavetoturf »

My vote is with the dot advocates. I shoot a S&W M41 with a Gilmore dot and A Pardini GT45 with an Ultra dot. If you have an astigmatism you should look at the dot before you purchase as some look like starbursts while others are nice and round. Aimpoints and Ultra dots have nice round dots. I am humbled by anyone who can outshoot a dot with irons in rapid fire.