More M41 questions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Kirmdog

More M41 questions

Post by Kirmdog »

I picked up a NIB late model S&W M41 a few months ago to replace my 40 year old High Standard. I understand that shooting a new pistol will require a learning curve but to me it seems that the lock time on the S&W is extremely slow compaired to my old HS and I feel that I'm shooting worse because of this slow lock time. Is there anything I could do (easy home gunsmithing) to improve this slow lock time or is it just a matter of a break-in period and things (lock time) will improve by themselves with time?

Kirmdog

Post by Guest »

If you haven't done so already, clean any old grease carefully. If the pistol has been unused for some time the lubricants may have gummed up and could be slowing the mechanism down. I find that brake/carb cleaner spray works well, if you do not want to disassemble the gun completely. Remove grips, spray liberally into the innards and work the slide and dryfire. Repeat till can is empty. After this there will be no oil left anywhere so you must relubricate.

Re: More M41 questions

Post by Guest »

Kirmdog wrote:I picked up a NIB late model S&W M41 a few months ago to replace my 40 year old High Standard.... it seems that the lock time on the S&W is extremely slow
Both designs are vintage, have towering sights and weigh like bricks. You'd see a noticeable improvement in your shooting with a similar priced Benelli MP95e.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Sorry to sway off topic too, but... Having recently owned a Benelli MP95 and S&W 41 back-to-back, I can't help but agree with the last post. I see not a single advantage the 41 has over the Benelli in target shooting (outside of perhaps in 2 or 3-gun Bullseye, where the Smith better matches the grip angle of a 1911)

The one thing I DID really like about the Smith? Resale value when I went to sell it! A nice, classic pistol. But over-priced compared to what else you can buy for the $.
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Who sells the Benelli MP95 in the U.S.?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Larry Carter of Larry's Guns in the State of Maine- http://www.larrysguns.com/
Rob

Post by Rob »

I shot a HS Victor for years and then bought a 41. I was so use to the Hi-Standard that the 41 felt clunky and aukward. I went back and forth between them and finally spent more time with the 41. Its probably just the matter of sticking with the 41 and getting use to it. A lot of high scores shot with 41's and High Standards. (Bullseye) that is.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I don't remember my HS needing a break-in period before it settled down and shot good but I've had that gun for so long that maybe I just forgot. To date I only have around a 100 rounds through my 41 so I'll just clean it real well for now. No FTF or FTE just not grouping like I think it should. I'll stick with the 41 for a while like Rob suggests and see what happens.

I did look at the Bennelli MP95 and it sure looks like a nice gun. Maybe I'll look into the Bennelli in.32. Lots of the guys in my club shoot the .32 and like it.

Thank you everybody for the help and suggestions.

Kirmdog
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Kirmdog,
I had a High Standard and a M41 at the same time, and the M41 definitely had a softer trigger with a longer throw. The lock time is probably similar, but I could feel the 41 trigger start to break whereas the HS had the typical crisp break.

I like the HS trigger better, but I liked the 41 balance with the 7" barrel better. Still, pretty similar.

Steve.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Personally, I have a Ruger Mark II, and a Marvel Conversion with iron sights. A number of the current shooters, and my gunsmith shoot (or shot) 41's. I usually have one alibi per match, if that. Most of the 41 shooters have several. My gunsmith said that he always took three (3) 41's to matches as well as parts, and that he had used all three on several occasions.

I THINK that the 41's have a greater break in time. The reason for that statement is that a shooter who's had the 41 for 5 years has far less problems than the guy with a new one. (not NIB, just new to him). I also have been told that the 41's have a tighter chamber so cycling can be a problem with less consistent ammo.

Based on watching everyone else's problems with the 41, it is unlikely that I'll ever own one. The guy who runs our matches has a 41, a Pardini, and a Marvel on a dedicated frame. He shoots the Marvel most of the time, and averages in the 830's.

Mike
Wichita KS
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Maybe it's just the newer ones. I bought my M46 (M41 w/o the fancy blueing job) in 1965 and shot it for 40 years. After a local 'smith tuned the extractor, I rarely had problems shooting CCI SV and Pistol Match. Of course, after I discovered the European pistols I put the M46 and eventually sold it. I now shoot a Pardini or an IZH35.