.45acp Bullseye velocity

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Ken O

.45acp Bullseye velocity

Post by Ken O »

What velocity do you load for bulleye? I shoot action pistol and load at 900 fps for a 200swc and think that would be unnessary.
I don't have competition around here, but can set up in my yard.

Also, we do have an indoor winter league that shoots the NMC with CF and RF, I would guess that that would require a lower velocity for just 50'.
Misny

Post by Misny »

By the rules, velocity isn't a factor in bullseye pistol competition. In other words, there is no minimum power factor. The focus is on accuracy and mild recoil. You need to test your gun/ ammo combination at 50 yards and shoot at least ten shot groups. All that being said, I have found that a velocity of around 765 fps is a good starting point for a 200 gr. lead bullet out of a 1911 gun set up for shooting wadcutters. Now if your goal is to shoot "hardball" matches to earn points for the much coveted Distinguished Pistol Shooter Badge, then ammo and gun combinations are different. In this game, folks who reload for matches use a full metal jacketed bullet, which is mandated by the rules. Many have found the Sierra match bullet to shoot well. For 50 yard shooting, most have found that they must drive the bullet to velocities of around 830-850 fps to get that bullet to fly well to 50 yards. For the "short line" (25 yards for timed and rapid fire) most will shoot a reduced load to minimize recoil. The reduced loads will group well at the shorter distance.
WINDYHILL

VELOCITY AND ACCURATE 45 LOADS

Post by WINDYHILL »

KEN, I HAVE FOUND THROUGH NUMEROUS TESTING, USING MY OWN SWAGED 189-200 GR LEAD SWCHPBB, SHOOTS 10 SHOT GORUPS OF 1.25 INCHES AT FIFTY YARDS, USING 3.8GRS OF CLAYS, WHICH GIVES ME A MUZZLE VELOCITY FO 720 FPS... I HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE THE BEST VELOCITY FOR OPTIMUM ACCURACY FROM A 45.. THE OAL- 1.2 INCHES AND A TAPER CRIMP OF .472 TO .465... i HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU KEN,,,GOOD SHOOTING
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

1. Velocity is irrelevant
2. At 50 yards accuracy (precision, actually) is the objective
3. At 25 yards controllability is the objective, with a precision being a secondary objective

and

4. Each pistol will have it's own "sweet spot" for accuracy that you can only determine through experimentation

therefore

A. You must "work up" a long-line accuracy load for your gun

B. You must "work up" a softball load for your gun for the 25 yard line; find the softest load that will be accuratte enough to hold x-ring offhand during deliberate fire.
jackh

Post by jackh »

That 50yd "sweet spot" velocity for 200gr LSWC will very likely be 700-750fps
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have used the 200 gr. Speer LSWC with 3.6 gr. Clays for 715 fps with excellent accuracy. More recently I have switched to the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP. Wiht the 185 gr. Star 3.8 gr. HS-770X gives ca 715 fps with outstanding accuracy out to 25 yards (I have not testewd at 50 yards). 3.8 gr. VV N-310 proovides 790 fps with the 185 gr. Star bullet and is reputed to provide excellent accuracy at 50 yards.