Good Destinguished Revolver gun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bentrod

Good Destinguished Revolver gun

Post by bentrod »

What is a really good gun for DR matches?

Jim
MSC

Post by MSC »

Most any S&W or Colt in .38 or .357, 6" barrel, with adjustable sights would likely fill the bill. In older models, the S&W model 14/K-38's or Colt Officer's Match are popular choices. Newer, the S&W 586/686 series is widely used. Model 19/66 Smiths would also work. Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks are very nice, but why pay for a collectible, when a shooter is what you want (perhaps find a shooter grade?). On the lower $ range, I hear of folks using Ruger GP-100's successfully

Best bang for the $, I'd say look for a nice S&W 14.

I think it's a great to see the DR shoots really catching on. Best of luck to you!
bentrod

DR pistol, I got it

Post by bentrod »

Well, I looked for the Smith 14 and 15 and found a few, but I didn't want to chance a used gun right off the bat. So, I got a Ruger GP100, and it shoots great. Then along comes a chance to buy a Colt Python in excellent condition for a price I couldn't refuse, $650 so I grabbed it. Also got some once fired Rem .38 brass: $49 per 1,000 and another deal came along, so I ended up with about 2,500 pieces of .38 brass and 3,000 bullets. And being lazy and not wanting to do a lot of changing on my Dillon SDB press setup for .45 I got another Dillon SDB for .38 Spec. So, I am gonna be Busting caps, which is all I can afford to do now.

BTW, I don't like the front sight ramp on either the GP 100 or the Python. Can I change either front sight and still remain legal for the Distinguished Revolver matches, if the sight is stock for that manufacturer? Or must it be stock for that model only? This is one reason I didn't get a Smith M10 with a fixed rear sight.

Jim
andersonix

Post by andersonix »

S&W in .38 maybe good for this.

Last edited by andersonix on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOVTMODEL

Re: DR pistol, I got it

Post by GOVTMODEL »

bentrod wrote:
BTW, I don't like the front sight ramp on either the GP 100 or the Python. Can I change either front sight and still remain legal for the Distinguished Revolver matches, if the sight is stock for that manufacturer? Or must it be stock for that model only?

Jim
Here's the rule so you can make an informed decision.

3.1.4 Distinguished Revolver - The revolver must be capable of chambering and firing a 158-grain round nose or semi-wadcutter .38 Special cartridge. It must be a factory manufactured revolver with no external modifications except for stocks which may be modified or changed because of the size of the competitor’s hand or to facilitate loading. Except for stocks and the honing of the sear or sear notch to make a more crisp trigger, and maintain a 2 1/2 lb. minimum trigger pull, no external or internal modification may be made to the revolver as
manufactured and sold by the factory of origin. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or internally, nor may any part be added. Specifically prohibited is any system of recoil control based upon
compensators, barrel venting, barrel porting or weighted grips.
(a) Trigger - Must have single and double action capability and must be capable of lifting 2 1/2 lbs when the revolver is cocked for single action firing. Triggers will be weighed. Any trigger, sold by the manufacturer of
the revolver, without modification, may be used.
(b) Sights - Fixed or adjustable rear sights may be used. An adjustable front sight is not allowed.
(c) Barrel - Length not to exceed six and one-half inches (6 1/2").
(d) Stocks - Except as set forth above, the right and left stocks must be mirror images of each other.
(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter bullet
only.
(f) The following are not allowed. Trigger Shoes, compensators of type or design; any external trigger stop
device; any internal trigger stop not originally installed by the factory as original equipment in stock revolvers of the same make and model; tape on the stocks or stocks flared at the base.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I think Bentrod either figured it out or was DQed since the question is from 2008.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Freepistol wrote:I think Bentrod either figured it out or was DQed since the question is from 2008.
Good catch!
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

GOVTMODEL wrote: Good catch!
But nice reply to original question.
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

GOVTMODEL wrote:
Freepistol wrote:I think Bentrod either figured it out or was DQed since the question is from 2008.
Good catch!
I found a used Smith 14 and have been using that. I shot a few matches and didn't do too bad. Now the quest for the best load, which I am finding is difficult. When it warms a little here in Michigan I will spend lots of time on that. So far I found one chamber to be shooting outside of the group, now to isolate it and RR lots of loads.

I have tried quite a few last summer and different factory and custom loads on recommendations from the BE list, and the consensus is: All guns can be very different.

Jim
ghillieman

DR load

Post by ghillieman »

I have a Colt Officers Model Match and it shot great with the RCBS cast 158gr. round nose with 3.5gr. Winchester WST and a moderate crimp. I've tried a lot of different loads and I'm going back to that on for the rest of the year. I've got 70 pounds of lead ready to cast up.