Question about 1600 Anschutz

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

justadude

Re: Question about 1600 Anschutz

Post by justadude »

Opusxc

A few bits here:
Without a list and pictures of the 'stuff' it is difficult to say if it is 'stuff' people would want. Some things were the thing to have in a particular era and are no longer desirable. Other times, you have things like that Redfield 3200 that in some circles are still sought after. Kids today seem to like shiny stuff, so all I can say is put up some pictures in Buy Sell Trade and see what gets interest.

About the scope, for smallbore competition a 'Dot Reticle' came to be preferred as a 3/8 minute dot would about cover a bullet hole at 50 yards/meters. The dot is easy to pick up in lower light and if properly set up and focused is easy to see and use. With a single dot, you cannot make a mistake and pick up the wrong one when firing rapidly. (Think a brief lull in gusty conditions). At the same time, a crisp set of crosshairs is not all that hard to work with.

The recommendation about a 24X Leupold must be discussed also with application: If you are shooting PRONE and only prone then a 24X scope will be fine. Pick your favorite make and model. (Prone shooting favors 20-24X scopes) If you are shooting position shooting 24X is WAAYYY TOO MUCH! If you are shooting position, 8-12X would be the ticket and if newer at this probably closer to 8X. Never more than 16X. Be it a Leupold or some other scope a lighter receiver mounted scope would be the ticket for position shooting.

Look at BKL Technologies or D3 Precision to see if you can find a proper set of rings to mount your 3200 to the barrel.

'dude
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Thank you for the insight Dude, unfortunately all I have to work with right now is my 3200 24x. Yes, I shoot 4 position and have one season under my belt. I practice 3 times a week live fire and 3 times a week dry fire. Since I have access to you seasoned veterans, I have another question. I’ve been told, in offhand, look for my “pattern “ to show up. Be that a figure 8 or oval or whatever shape, just find it and set it up to hit the 10. I’ve been shooting offhand for about 8 months and still haven’t had a “ pattern “ show up. I time my break coming down on the 10. Haven’t been super consistent but working on it. Should a pattern show up some day? Can I make my own pattern by manipulating my hold? Anyone feel free to chime in, I will take in any and all advice.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Caveat that I'm an appalling standing shooter, but if by "manipulating my hold", you mean pushing/pulling the rifle onto the target, this has always made things worse for me. It makes me think that 1) Your natural point of aim is not properly set on the target, and 2) Your position is unsteady.

When you posted a picture of your rifle a few weeks ago, which position was this set up for? If it's standing, I think I understand why you have the 'scope so high; unless you have very ling arms and a very short torso, the 'scope would be far too low to aim. Normally, the rifle is jacked up on a block or palm rest. Some shooters still have the sights fairly high, but very few have no raiser under the fore-end.

I presume the lump at the muzzle is a weight. Weight can help to steady the rifle, but too much weight, or weight in the wrong place, can exacerbate wobble.

Does your club/team have an instructor or coach? If so, get them to check over your position. If not, maybe start with a basic coaching book. Launi Meili's Rile: Steps to Success is good. Forum members cannot see your position, and can only guess at what's behind your wobbly aim.
Last edited by Tim S on Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

I shoot standing with a 20x, 22x, never have tried a 24x, but think I would be fine with it. I am old school Standing shooter, 45 deg foot position. I saw the present method, new at the time, get pushed into play in the late 80's, early 90's. Am not trying to start a storm here, I do what I do, for many reasons. It takes years to develop a good standing position. For years, lifetime, I use the Lones Wigger method for standing, recently discovered it is called the Lones Wigger method, of parking the point of aim just to the left and slowly move to the right, and try to lock on, and release, it works well for me, again for many reasons. IMO, just because some one says you need to do it this way, does not mean that you must do it this way. Try different methods, and find out what works for you best. Then you can shuffle the cards , if some times things do not go well one way.
One concept of thought for shooting, is "watch it happen" as compared to "trying to make it happen", this is another method of relaxation, follow thru.
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Tim you always have solid advice, thank you. Now I have a new book I should purchase. The pic I posted of my rifle is informational only. I didn’t gear it up for offhand with all the appurtenances, like the palm rest. I have 2.5lbs of weight on the end of the barrel and boy did that help take most of the sway out of my hold.

I don’t have a coach, but I have asked 4 of my teammates to look at my stance and I got 4 different conclusions, lol. So I have come to the realization that a pattern is shooter specific, some develop a pattern and some don’t.

Alpine, I have questions for you. I have 2 mentors who have described your method of target approach to me. Now I’m beginning to wonder if I should have been working on your method all along. I’ve had it stuck in my brain that I needed a predictable pattern to work with.

When you make your approach, once your hold has settled, do you go in from 9 o’clock and straight across the target to the bull? Quickly or slow as possible? Do you time your shot or pull on the bull? You mentioned a 45 degree angle. Would that be with my back foot (right foot) moved to the right ( looking from behind). Hope I’m making sense. Also, that would put the left elbow still on the hip but closer to the tummy, right? I hope you understand my questions. Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it a lot.
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Ok, Alpine, I went to the gun club this morning and got in 30 rounds using your description of your stance. I have to say it is quite comfortable for my 57 year old back. And, for me, it seemed to of settled my hold down a bit more. I do wonder if it’s wishful thinking. However, it was the most comfortable 85 I’ve shot. Surprised me how my left arm just falls on my hip now. Before with my other stance, it always felt like I was trying too hard to get my left arm to fall straight down. I hope I got your directions correct, because I’m going with it. Thank you Alpine, very much appreciated!
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

20240212_194650 - Copy - Copy - Copy (2).jpg
Hi Opusxc100, I understand your explanations and yes. My approach which starts after I finish my last breaths while up and holding, Is I am approx at 9 o'clock, and I slowly move to the right, as slow as I possibly can, and as I get closer , i slow down even more, my ultimate goal is to get it to lock on via relaxation, hold it there, release the shot and have complete follow thru. So what I see in the perfect shot is perfect sight picture, before , during and after the shot. When this happens , I know it is a 10.6 to 10.9 before looking at the spotter scope.
For my present state of skill, it has been taking me 10, 20 sometimes 30 shots to get to a very steady hold situation, and my goal is to try to get steady after less "warm up" shots. During these warm up or earlier shots, different techniques are used, go by as slow as you can and gently release the shot, lock on quickly and release quickly, trying to work with what you have , but keeping in mind the ultimate goal.
About the 9 o'clock hold, last fall I was parking the front sight completely next the bull, kind of like 2 circles next to each other, I have become much steadier after this season, and now I am at a point that I actually just shade the front sight to the left slightly, then slowly move in, lock on and release. In time , if it happens for me again, as it has happened from my earlier years, it did not matter where I moved in from, I would just place the sight on the bull and it would just lock on, without even trying, this was when 96 to 99 scores were being shot. The trick was relaxation and shot release with perfect follow thru. Again, think watch it happen as compared to make it happen. You can relax more and have better follow thru, if you watch it happen. Presently I am at 89 to 94 range. My son has done well in his first year with a 93 high score.
With the 45 deg stance your support elbow, try really rotating it to the interior, this creates a binding like shelf, very comfortable.
IMO, I like the 45 deg stance as it is in the middle of the full range of motion, which to me is the most comfortable spot. Also like to cant my FWB rifle, it is designed to do this if set up correctly.
20240212_201409 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
justadude

Post by justadude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLZYKLm27RA

This does not include absolutely everything regarding the modern standing position but Heinz Reinkemeier does publish some very good instructional videos. Watch it a few times, and it should help get you started.

'dude
Opusxc100

Post by Opusxc100 »

Thank you Alpine! I was able to practice what you’ve described last evening. It didn’t go as well as hoped. Not the fault of your instruction, but my limitations of knowledge in this area. However, I was able to work through the different stance changes, but it took awhile with much trial and error. Something that I hadn’t considered was the warm up shots, I am used to firing 2 or 3 shots at the sighter and then jumping in… I found out why my first target was, without exception, always my poorest scored target. After last night, I’ll always shoot a minimum of 10 to 15 warm ups.

Tim was concerned, based upon the pic I posted, about my butt plate location. I ended up shortening it even more than I had previously, that helped. Bent my back more with a larger cant, that also helped. But the biggest difference was when I figured out where to place my elbow on my hip. Turns out my placement was all wrong. Too far forward. When the practice was over I had shot a clean target with an 89. That’s great for me considering I’m still just a newbie. Thanks again for your help Alpine and I will “watch it happen”!