Show us your Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rmca

Re: Show us your Free Pistol

Post by rmca »

northpaw wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm
Gwhite wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:49 am
Coolmeester wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:26 am
Trashy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:59 am Morini or pardini? Want to buy new what say yall?
Morini
+1
+1
+1
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Leon wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:49 pm Here's mine - a Steyr Free Pistol....
Steyr Fee.JPG
A nice pistol, albait a bit difficult to shoot well. But the experts attain high scores with that gun:
The finnish national record in free pistol was set with the Steyr.
If my memory serves me wright it was set by Kirsti Kaaro, 568, I recon?

Some results (records) from the finnish, swedis, denmarkian, brittish, norwegian nordic veteran championships, including Mr Ragnar Skanåker:
50m
https://docplayer.fi/42719380-Records-o ... nship.html

PistolD45KaaroKirstiFIN5292016LahtiD55MykräRitvaFIN4822013GävleD65YlistöSirkkaFIN4252013GävleV45FredikssanPeterSWE5462013GävleV55AnderssonWeithSWE5392010ÅrhusV65SkanåkerRagnarSWE5442011BrekstadV70PaasonenSakariFIN5332008LahtiV75+SkanåkerRagnarSWE5252016LahtiTeamD45Finland14722016LahtiKirsti Kaaro, Jaana Salo, Tarja SorriV45Sweden15462014CopenhagenChrister Larsson, Krister Persson, Rickhard LindV55Sweden15432011BrekstadChrister Larsson, Weith Andersson, Ragnar SkanåkerV65Sweden15212014CopenhagenLars-Göran Liljergren, Ragnar Skanåker, Weith AnderssonV70Finland14572016FinlandReino Jauhiainen, Kurt Walden, Jorma ÅsbackaV75+Finland14362016FinlandSakari Paasonen, Rauno Kiri, Antti Weijo

(Sorry, this table was distorted, regrettably.)
Trashy

Post by Trashy »

Well, I guess I'll send morini an email about getting one in the US. And a ton of spare parts.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Spare parts, for å Morini CM 84E?
You will only need a new battery about every 5000 trigger pulls.
That 15 V battery is not rechargeable.
Last edited by northpaw on Fri May 28, 2021 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
hurt

Post by hurt »

81DFFE21-2169-4D4C-BBEC-8BCC3A67AF4C.jpeg
Trashy

Post by Trashy »

northpaw wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 am Spare parts, for å Morini CM 84E?
What about firing pins and springs? It's not uncommon for me to shoot 20k 22s a year when they're available. Although a single shot would slow me down
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

You may get any part for your CM 84 from the world wide net of dealers:
https://www.morini.ch/dealers/

20.000 rounds of .22 r.f. a year? That is a lot of shooting. I may do half that number of .22 r.f. a year, but then maybe another 5 to 10 k with my air guns.
FP may "slow you down", yes.

https://www.morini.ch/products/cm-84e/
Trashy

Post by Trashy »

northpaw wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:28 am You may get any part for your CM 84 from the world wide net of dealers:
https://www.morini.ch/dealers/

20.000 rounds of .22 r.f. a year? That is a lot of shooting. I may do half that number of .22 r.f. a year, but then maybe another 5 to 10 k with my air guns.
FP may "slow you down", yes.

https://www.morini.ch/products/cm-84e/
Works out to about 385 rounds a week. Which pre covid I did about 400 a week out of just my scorpion. The post covid times I have slowed to a crawl. It's been awful.

But these days I've just been stacking high end .22 because it's the only thing I can find regularly.

Is cci standard velocity OK for free pistols? I used to buy that by the case every quarter.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Until you get exceptionally skilled, free pistols will shoot almost anything well enough. I use mine to burn up ammo that won't cycle my semi-autos.

Free pistol do typically have tight chambers, and you may find that some ammo either won't fit, or will become hard to extract with minimal fouling. I keep a chamber brush handy for such occasions. The waxy lubricant on CCI may tend to gum up the action a bit faster than some ammo, but it works fine.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Gwhite wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 am Free pistol do typically have tight chambers, fouling. I keep a chamber brush handy for such occasions.
CCI "standard velocity" (I feel that ammo is standard velocity+, but..). Keep a chamber brush handy. Accuracy of CCI Standard seems ok for training FP.
David M

Post by David M »

northpaw wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 am Spare parts, for å Morini CM 84E?
For International travel and competition I had spare battery and a complete
breech block assy (pre fitted and tuned) as a spare.
It is easier to change the entire block that a firing pin. (about 5-6 min on the line)
I used it once in 30 yrs, when on the line when I shatteded the arm on the firing pin
at a World cup during competition.
Other problems were a broken solinoid wire (fatigue) fixed by re-soldering joint and a worn
out loading lever. Slot on lever wears with lots and lots of shots.
Replaced barrel after about 20 yrs to a slightly shorter barrel.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

David M wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:09 pm Replaced barrel after about 20 yrs to a slightly shorter barrel.
May I ask where did you get that custom (?) barrel?
Would have a barrel one, or one and a half, inch shorter than the original 29 cm ( 11 - 1/2")
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I too have a Steyr FP like Leon above, purchased back in 2019. It came with a large Rink grip and non-original (I think) trigger blade. Beautifully made and assembled by Herr Ernst Huber, when he was at Steyr-Männlicher (now technical head at Steyr Sport). He's a very approachable fellow and apparently has all the spares though he will only deal through Steyr's agents. I also have a Hammerli FP60 (made by Walther) which I had purchased 6 years earlier in 2013.

There were only one thousand Steyr FPs made, one of which was used successfully by Uwe Potteck though he didn’t stick with it. The lock work is very simple and easy to maintain but it has no dry-fire capability. It is necessary to keep used cases for dry firing. I’ve developed a system whereby I have a long 5mm dia. plastic rod which I insert from the muzzle and onto which I mount a used case which I can then chamber, noting first where the original strike is. I can then rotate the rod with each dry fire to get half a dozen or so dry-fires from each used case. The Hammerli has a separate set trigger so dry-fire is straightforward.

I bought the Steyr because I was intrigued by it and the only way I could try one was to buy one. I put a Wanted ad up on one of our Aussie used gun sites and mine came up. The vendor and I had a struggle reaching a fair market price but agree we did and I took delivery.

I have tried and tried to shoot it well despite much effort and grip modification, but am about to give up on it. It is a very unforgiving pistol with a weirdly "soft" feeling trigger. The oft criticised distance between barrel and sightline doesn’t account for the difficulty in my view nor the slightly shorter barrel than most. I don’t know what it is but I can't shoot it. It was a very expensive pistol in its day but I don’t know anyone who has stuck with it.

OTOH, the Hammerli is more forgiving (if ever "forgiving" exists in FP) though the slightly weird trigger rod with o-ring had to be replaced by a home-made trigger blade before I felt comfortable with it. Grip also needed a lot of modification with plastic wood and a Dremel.

In summary, the Steyr is very interesting but unforgiving whereas the Hammerli works for me. I’ve not shot a Morini so cannot comment on them. Free pistol grips need so much work before they can be shot well that trying someone else’s pistol might not be a reliably way to decide if that model is for you.

If you can find a TOZ35(M) in good order, I believe that that would be the way to go from all I read and hear.

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

[/quote]
May I ask where did you get that custom (?) barrel?
Would have a barrel one, or one and a half, inch shorter than the original 29 cm ( 11 - 1/2")
[/quote]
Have lathe and mill in workshop.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

Attachments
Morini.JPG
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Thanks for posting that picture. Nice. Did you show up at some World Cup with that very gun (or at least that barrel?)
(Pimp my gun, but..) For Christs sake, man, it is a true CM 84 E !
Stars & Stripes barrel, -that is ok with me.
Found that gun kind of nice, not to mention that barrel sticker.
And, notice the pink colour of the triggerguard.... intriguing. Got a bling factor.
( Want to believe that photo is not a product of "photoshoping..")
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I missed the German Nationals by just 1 point with this pistol. The triggerguard is red, the pic is just stepped down in quality and looks that way. I do pinstripping and window tinting so getting stripping material is no problem. My AirPistol is I think even better.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

FWB_700_Alu wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:24 pm I missed the German Nationals by just 1 point with this pistol..My AirPistol is I think even better.
Missed the german nationals by a mere one point? Impressive. Back in the years of the brothers Jens und Uwe P...., I have competed in internationals with both of those great characters.

Man, show us your air pistol, then!
Last edited by northpaw on Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I don´t want to hijack the thread, but I was asked..
Attachments
USA LP sm.jpg
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Yes, love that image. Not a FP but an truly intoxicating AP, a Steyr LP 10 I recon. But that barrel sticker, - it does not read "kiss" like that of your FP...