What are folks reloading .45acp for (per round)?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MSC

What are folks reloading .45acp for (per round)?

Post by MSC »

Simple question. Just curious, as I'd like to start delving into bullseye with a 45, and at $15/50rds, it ain't happening. Obviously a reload will probably be more accurate anyhow. Somewhere in my Googling of this topic I thought someone mentioned around $3.50/30rds. Pretty good, I think.

Plenty of guys that shoot 45 at my club, so maybe they'd sell reloads for something reasonable until I could get set up...

Thanks for any input.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Prices for components has gone up quite a bit.

These days if you have brass, figure:

$.10 per bullet
$.03 per primer
$.012 per 4 grains of powder.

So, about half price for handloaded match ammo.

YMMV
Fred Mannis

Re: What are folks reloading .45acp for (per round)?

Post by Fred Mannis »

MSC wrote:
Plenty of guys that shoot 45 at my club, so maybe they'd sell reloads for something reasonable until I could get set up...

Thanks for any input.
It's OK to lend someone reloaded ammo, but it is illegal to sell reloaded ammo without all kinds of licenses. So don't be surprised if people refuse.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Good point, Fred. Didn't consider the liability factor...
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

MSC wrote:Good point, Fred. Didn't consider the liability factor...
You might want to contact Neil Kravitz at NSK ammo. He has all the licenses, allows you to trade in brass for a reduction in price and produces a quality product. http://www.nsksales.com/
Kate
Misny

Post by Misny »

To each his own, but I have had better luck buying Zero brand bullets and reloads from http://www.rozedist.com/
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Neil's a good option, but I'm not sure that he currently has much inventory. I'd spoken to him a few weeks ago and he was having a kaniption over a lack of supplies. But he's worth a call nonetheless.

Mastercast in Pa discounts for brass returns as well.
Guest Twenty

Neil

Post by Guest Twenty »

Neil likes to talk on a variety of subjects!
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks for all the great leads guys, much appreciated!
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Neil likes to talk on a variety of subjects!
LOL - yes he does. I'd once told him that I have a background in software engineering and received a lengthy tutorial on the intricacies of the tunneling electron microscope. He'd apparently worked as an EE prior to starting his ammo business.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Jim Collins who represents Zero Bullets does some of their machine rest testing. He brought some pretty impressive groups to Camp Perry which were shot with their bullets. Jim has been there and done that. He is the first person to shoot 1500 points out of a possible 1500 in PPC with a revolver. He is also a member of the 2650 club.
Allgoodhits

ZERO

Post by Allgoodhits »

Misny wrote:Jim Collins who represents Zero Bullets does some of their machine rest testing. He brought some pretty impressive groups to Camp Perry which were shot with their bullets. Jim has been there and done that. He is the first person to shoot 1500 points out of a possible 1500 in PPC with a revolver. He is also a member of the 2650 club.
If a bullet, powder, primer, gun or ammunition meets the Collins standard, then it is top notch. James E. aka Jim won two PPC National Championships and would have won many more but he quit shooting PPC.

Collins PPC record of 1500-126X was retired when NRA changed the 7 yd line time limit from 25 seconds to 20 seconds which made no difference since at that distance most shooters shot all X's anyway. The new Hemphill record is 1500-118X. Collins shot a 1499-139X match too.

One of his greatest feats was I think 1976 or 1977 when Ed Nixon just finished match 5 and shot an unbelievable at the time 599 in the NPC and had locked in the National Championship. At least so everyone thought. Collins had not yet shot Match 5 or the NPC. Nixons 599 was unbeleiveable until Collins stepped up and shot a 600 out of a 600. They were all but engraving Nixons name on stuff as for anyonw to shoot a 600 was beyond belief. Beyond belief is Jim Collins.

Collins a retired Alabama Trooper from Tuscaloosa is a gentlemen, literally a scholar and one of the best shooters ever, albeit not the most widely known.

Cost to load : .10 to .16 cent per bullet depending on lead or jacket, primers about .03 cent and powder roughly .015 cent.

Lead per round not including brass about .14 - .15 each
Jacket per round not including brass about .16 - .18 each

ZERO does make quality bullets at less than premium prices.

Martin Johnson