ClearsighT

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tleddy

ClearsighT

Post by tleddy »

In the early '80s I produced an optical aid called "ClearsighT".

The ClearsighT was simply a specialized loupe, basically a clip-on jewelers loupe, with three interchangeable lenses. The lens powers were 0.50+; 0.75+ and 1.00+

When used on the shooter's glasses that were set for 20/20 vision at a distance (driving glasses), the ClearsighT made the shooter's relaxed focus fall in the vicinity of the front sight. The power of the lens was dependent on the shooter's actual correction, hence the three lenses.

The ClearsighT sold for around $50.00 and was a MUCH less expensive alternative to the Knobloch and Champion shooting glasses.

The advent of Red Dot sighting systems for American bullseye killed that market and the loss of my loupe supplier ended production.

NOW to the reason for this long-winded post:

Is there any rule that would prohibit the ClearsighT from use in Olympic Pistol competition... and, if so, could someone post the reference in the rules, please?

Tillman
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Without looking at them rules, see no reason for any problem. Some other accessories are sold with lenses to stick to your prescription glasses, colored filters, irises, etc...
David Levene

Re: ClearsighT

Post by David Levene »

tleddy wrote:
Is there any rule that would prohibit the ClearsighT from use in Olympic Pistol competition... and, if so, could someone post the reference in the rules, please?
I can't see any problem. The operative rules would be:-

8.4.2.3.1 Correcting lenses and/or filters must not be attached to the pistol.
8.4.2.3.2 Correction glasses and/or filters may be worn by the shooter.

It isn't attached to the pistol, and is allowed to be worn by the shooter.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Hi Tillman,

So you were the source?...

I've noticed that the frames are still available for around $40.00 US from various sources, but wondered who might be able to cut the lenses. I have one of the original setups with the three lenses you mentioned. I've had mixed results with it as I've aged, though. It seemed to give me trouble when using a sub six hold for both 50 and 25 in Bullseye, but I definitely use it for my International events. The fuzziness of the bull, seemed to create different aiming areas when swapping distances in BE. I tried adding a separate iris, but found I wanted to stop it down too far and it would give a halo effect.

One of the sources for the origninal frame that pops up is Cas-Ker Company in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I've also wondered whether the double version, the Eyeglass Loupe Behr Model 55 Double, would work for incorporating the iris and lens into a single unit, but haven't gotten around to giving it a try.

Thoughts?

BTW, Thanks for a product I've been getting more use out of over the recent years.(smile)

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Ed Hall wrote: One of the sources for the origninal frame that pops up is Cas-Ker Company in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I've also wondered whether the double version, the Eyeglass Loupe Behr Model 55 Double, would work for incorporating the iris and lens into a single unit, but haven't gotten around to giving it a try.
I have used a Behr (or similar) single loupe with 23 mm Knobloch lenses (0.5, 0.75, 1.0) with some success. Great for Bullseye, since I can just flip up the lens, score the target. Changing glasses to shoot, then score, is a pain.

Problem with the Behr design is that it is difficult to change lenses. Some of the other designs hold the lens holder with a clamp screw, making it simple to switch lens power or color,
jackh

Post by jackh »

Guest Twenty

Clearsight

Post by Guest Twenty »

I purchased "half moon" shaped + correction flexible lenses at a local drug store. They are designed to serve as a bifocal add on to your regular lenses BUT they can be positioned anywhere on the lens. Basically you use a bit of water and slide them in place on your regular lens.
tleddy

More ClearsighT

Post by tleddy »

Yes, I was the creator in the early 80s.

Interestingly, the loupes are designed for 24 mm lenses and I had them custom edged to that size (costly). I have used the 25 mm lenses with a longer screw to make up for the gap the extra 3.14 mm circumference that the 1 extra mm in diameter creates (pi*D I think).

Fred mentions using 23 mm Knobloch lenses... Fred, does that create a loose fit or do you file off some of the circumference?

I sold somewhere around 10K units over 20 years and darn near every NRA Bullseye match I go to has several shooters either using the ClearsighT or they have one in their gun box.

The advent of Distinguished Revolver has created a resurgence of interest...

Who knows; if demand reaches a fever pitch I may try to resurrect the ClearsighT :-)

Tillman
Fred Mannis

Re: More ClearsighT

Post by Fred Mannis »

tleddy wrote:
Fred mentions using 23 mm Knobloch lenses... Fred, does that create a loose fit or do you file off some of the circumference?
I filed off some of the circumference.
Also, some of the old B&L loupes had a set screw fastening system that allows use of a Varga lens holder, allowing use of either 23mm or 37 mm lenses.
kuhnr1

Re: ClearsighT

Post by kuhnr1 »

Do you still have any of these clearsight?
Thanks
Rick