Zins / Moody BE Clinic in Richmond Va

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

solomon grundy

Zins / Moody BE Clinic in Richmond Va

Post by solomon grundy »

I'm cross-posting this from the Bullseye-L list
The Virginia Pistol League in Richmond, VA is sponsoring a Bullseye
Pistol Shooting Clinic on January 10th & 11th, 2009. This is your
chance to improve your shooting under the coaching of Champions, Brian
Zins, Andy Moody & Larry Quandahl! This clinic is designed especially
for those Bullseye shooters who know the basics of the sport but want to
improve their ability. The clinic involves 2 days of intensive
training both on the firing line and in the classroom. Shooters will
typically shoot 300 rounds of ammunition during the clinic. Space is
limited to 18 shooters. Typically, these spaces go quickly so you need
to act if you are interested. Again this year, the tuition will be
$200. Payment in advance guarantees you a spot in the clinic.

Contact Claude Cooper, 3430 Traylor Dr. Richmond, VA 23235. My
telephone number is (804) 320-8773 or email Caude.Coo...@verizon.net if
you need additional information or to reserve a spot.
I'd attended this program last year and was very impressed. They provide lots of one-on-one and address topics at a level appropriate to experienced competitors. The facility is very nice as well.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

When you spend your money for this outstanding instruction you might want to stop just a moment and decide what you want to get out of the course.If you are going to attend in order to impress Brian Zins with your knowledge of shooting matters this is not going to happen. If you are really interested in gaining insight into what really works in competition shooting let the instructors do the talking and listen very carefully to what they are saying. Be sure and ask questions to clarify any issues that are unclear to you . This should not take up a lot of time as these guys are really the best you will be able to find .No one other than Brian has ever won eight national championships at Camp Perry. Good Shooting Bill Horton
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

If you are going to attend in order to impress Brian Zins with your knowledge of shooting matters this is not going to happen.
That's true. Brain is a very easy-going guy, judging from my limited interaction w/ him. He's not someone who tries to throw his weight around. Andy Moody has a similar demeanor. Neither of these gentlemen need to prove anything to anyone. They're confident in the methods and techniques that they advocate, but seem open to questions and debate.

There were a few times that someone in last years class tried to impress them. They listened politely and then continued on course.

This year's program is described as being intended for experienced shooters, which I take as meaning that they're hoping to address more advanced topics concerning the refinement of techniques and match strategy.

I'm bringing my hardball gun and IZH 35, but I still need to contact Claude to determine whether the Richmond Police Academy range allows ball ammo.

Zins Clinic

Post by Guest »

Claude told me that a .22 with straight grips was the appropriate choice of a gun for the clinic. My understanding is the Zins grip is only amenable to a gun with a mil style grip on it. He said we would fire about 300 rounds of ammo. I can buy .22 when I get there and don't have to worry about shipping ammo since I can't bring it on the plane. Kate
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

It turns out that Richmond does allow ball ammo.

guest: A substantial portion of the program deals w/ the 1911 specifically - at least it did last year. But one isn't required. I'm bringing mine knowing that I'll be able to get some one-on-one coaching. Coaching specific to the 1911 is very hard to come by.

Post by Guest »

"guest: A substantial portion of the program deals w/ the 1911 specifically - at least it did last year. But one isn't required. I'm bringing mine knowing that I'll be able to get some one-on-one coaching. Coaching specific to the 1911 is very hard to come by."

Gee, other than recoil issues, I am desperately trying to figure out what would be gun specific about the 1911 as opposed to say, a Marvel conversion on a Caspian frame. Can anyone enlighten me, what a 1911 specific coaching issue might be?
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted your response, but is the 'gee' and your claimed desperation intended to convey sarcasm?
guest too

past experience

Post by guest too »

I attended this class my first year of shooting. I had the least experience in the class and fewest bad habits. I listened and took notes came home practiced what they taught and became a high master that year with a 2648 122x. It is well worth it.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Guest too. Congratulations on the great score ! Please consider trying this international stuff. I will not insult you by saying you must be a natural as I suspect you worked your tail off accomplishing that level of performance in such a short time. Your comment about having the fewest bad habits and getting correct information right off the bat confirms a long held opinion as the way to do our thing. Good Shooting Bill Horton

Zins clinic

Post by Guest »

Guest too, I am glad to hear that the clinic did so much good for you. I have only been back shooting for six months. Before April of 2008, the last match I had fired was a combat match at Ft Sill Oklahoma in 1986 although I shot a lot of conventional pistol in practice before that. Last clinic I went to for conventional pistol was put on my the AMU after the match at Ft Sill. I learned some stuff there but it was geared primarily towards .45 hardball and the game has changed a lot since then. I too intend to pay very close attention to Mr. Zins and hope like heck that I can duplicate his grip. I have worries about that since my hands are not large. (not terribly small either, but defintely not large) I also hope I don't have too many bad habits to unlearn. K
Guest Twenty

Zins Clinic

Post by Guest Twenty »

Perhaps an "advanced" clinic means that the participants should know better than to ask Brian and Andy how often they should clean their 45 and other similar questions. I attended a clinic last year and was amazed at some of the lame questions people asked.
9XNC

Zins clinic

Post by 9XNC »

As far as the hand size goes. I have small hands as well. The reason we ask the attendees to bring .22's is for the instuctors benefit. that way we can watch what is happening during recoil a little better. Plus you are less likely to get tired if shooting a smaller caliber. Please do bring your 1911's also so we can check your grip as well, especially if you are trying to get distinguished.

BZ