flyers

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

flyers

Post by Guest »

I can usually hold the 8 ring but it never fails I always have a shot way out in the 5 ring for some reason. Any ideas how to get that one shot into the black?
Fred Mannis

Re: flyers

Post by Fred Mannis »

Anonymous wrote:I can usually hold the 8 ring but it never fails I always have a shot way out in the 5 ring for some reason. Any ideas how to get that one shot into the black?
Don't fire it. PTFGD
2650 Plus

Flyers

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reread the best book you can find on fundamentals paying close attention to every thing about trigger control and perfecting sight allignment. You are no where near ready to try the subconcious trigger release mentioned as the goal for trigger control. Work on developing a smoothe steadily increasing pressure technique and do many hours of dry firing. Good Shooting Bill Horton
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

When I get extreme flyers like that, it's typically due to a wrist spasm. What I've found helpful is to pre-tension my forearm and grip in a deliberate and consistent manner - not to imply that I make them tense, as in tight, simply that I try to set the muscles consistently.

The articles by Anatoliy Piddubnyy linked from the following page discuss the significance of wrist control and describe drills that he'd designed to train the wrist.

http://www.pilkguns.com/pistolcoaching.shtml
2650 Plus

Flyers

Post by 2650 Plus »

I'm afraid I didn't emphasise the importance of dry firing sufficiently. A quick discussion of the benefits of this training exercise may be helpful. First, in dry firing there is no report or recoil that can conceal major mistakes in technique. You can clearly identify any movement in your pistol or the tiny movements in sight allignment as the striker falls [ Or hammer as the case may be ]. Good trigger control technique allows the dry firing of the pistol without any disturbance in stillness of hold or sight allignment, and I would call this result the Holy Grail for the competitive shooter. The flyers will disapear as you develope your skill in firing without disturbing the stillness I have mentioned. Good Shooting Bill Horton
david alaways

Flyers

Post by david alaways »

What Bill just said PLUS remember to follow thru on your dry firing ( its the hardest thing I had to learn, since I never had a follow thru) If u have a problem with follow thru write it on a piece of paper and put it right in front of you when dry firing. David

flyers

Post by Guest »

Which shot of the string do you pull out? Is it the first one, the last one or one of the ones in the middle? Knowing that will help a professional diagnose the problem. Pulling out the last one indicates a loss of focus, and rushing the shot to finish the string. Pulling the first one inadequate preparation. You need to dry fire a few times before loading the magazine. If it is one of the ones in the middle, chances are you are either holding the gun up too long or getting distracted.

Post by Guest »

I have a good trigger pull and do do a lot of dry fire but it seems that my wrist moves for no apparent reason. With that being said on match night on Wednesday I shoot a 93 in slow fire and had no flyers but want to make sure the wrist stays without the twitch thing. They usually happen in the middle somewhere around 3-4 of the magazine.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

couple of thoughts. You may be holding the gun up too long and putting stress on your wrist which causes the twitch. Put the gun completely down and regrasp it if you don't get the shot off within 5 to 7 seconds of leveling it on the target. If you are holding the gun tightly in the ready poisiton throughout slow fire this may be putting a lot of stress on your wrist. Try loading the gun one round at a time as you shoot slow fire and see if the twitch goes away. Second thought: Is your gun perhaps muzzle heavy? I find the work of constantly pulling up the barrel to keep a gun leveled on the target causes stress on my wrist. Shifting the balance back or lightening up the gun might help. If you are shooting with iron sights your gun may be pretty balanced unless you have a barrel weight on the end. If you are shooting with a dot, it may be too far forward on the gun. Example I have two virtually identical Hammerlis 208s. I have a Knapp mount on one and a BME mount on the other. The Knapp mount is going to be replaced as it puts too much weight forward. I shoot much better with the BME which does not have a weight the end of the barrel and allows me to slide the matchdot further back. I have the same problem with any gun that has the magazine forward of the trigger. the balance is wrong for me. Isabel

Post by Guest »

I do have a muzzle weight on because I think it help with timed and rapid but you might be right about unnecessary weight for slow fire. It usually takes 5-7 seconds for my dot to settle so how do I make the gun settle faster?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I do have a muzzle weight on because I think it help with timed and rapid but you might be right about unnecessary weight for slow fire. It usually takes 5-7 seconds for my dot to settle so how do I make the gun settle faster?
Take up the slack in your trigger as the gun is settling. You should know when the shot will break. Make sure you are almost there as the gun settles. Again try loading one round at a time in slow fire and see if that keeps the twitch away. It gives you a needed break between shots.
WINDYHILL

flyer

Post by WINDYHILL »

GUEST,,, 1ST GO OVER YOYR TECHNIUQES ANALIZE EACH STEP DURING YOUR DRY FIRING..2 HAVE YOUR PISTOL CHECKED BY A GOOD GUNSMITH, CHECK THE FEED RAMP, MAKE SURE IT IS SMOOTH AND THE FEEDING OF THE ROUNDS IS COSISTANT, ALSO THE MAGAZINE FOLLOWER ENGAGING THE MAGAZINE CATCH, USUALY ON THE THIRD OR FOURTH ROUND WILL CAUSE FLYERS.. 3RD BE CONSITANT AND PRECISE ON LOADING YOUR AMMO, I HAVE FOUND THE MOST ACCURATE LOAD , FOR MY PISTOL IS A 189 TO 190 GR SWCHPBB LEAD BULLET WITH A LOAD OF 3.8 GR OF CLAYS,, OVER ALL LENGTH 1.2 INCHES,,, TAPER CRIMP .465 TO .470,, i HAVE BEEN GETTING TEN SHOT GROUPS THAT MEASURE 1.2 INCHES AT FIFTY YARDS... GOOD SHOOTING