Sighting in a .22

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

EdM

Sighting in a .22

Post by EdM »

I've read that most rimfire guns are sensitive to differences in ammunition - in other words the gun may shoot well with one brand but not another.

I take this to mean if I sight in using (for example) CCI cartridges then switch to Remington (or whatever) I may need to adjust the sights.

If that is correct, can I assume that staying with one brand negates that concern? Or is there often differences even between lots of the same brand? Should I try several different makes or just choose one and sight in for that brand and stay with it?

Thank you.

Ned
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi Ned,
There are differences between brands and lots.

It sounds like you are a newer shooter. If that is the case, spend more time improving your technique and less time concerned about ammo. The NRA Bullseye target is rather large compared to differences in lots and brands. It is important to get a brand that functions in your pistol.

I see in your profile you are a model railroader. I used to have a train shop. What scale and period are you modeling?
Ben
Bullseye Shooter

Post by Bullseye Shooter »

My experience has been that most brands shoot pretty much in the same place. The "sensitive" part comes in when some brands will not function in one pistol or another. My HS Victor will not feed CCI std velocity stuff, but does great with the Aguila from the CMP. My Marvel will feed just about everything, no problem, even without putting a drop of oil on the first cartridge in the magazine.
EdM

Post by EdM »

Freepistol:

At the moment I am an "armchair" model railroader as I do not have a permanent layout.

Have some 027 pieces I set up for Christmas and some On30 items from Bachmann. Like the late 19th - early 20th century narrow gauge look. Hope to start a modest pike soon.

I appreciate the replies.

Ned
clark2245

Re: Sighting in a .22

Post by clark2245 »

Hi Ned,

One thought is that even though most pistol / ammo combinations work well enough to start without any need for serious testing it might be worth while to do a basic test to confirm your gun doesn't really dislike your ammo choice. In the about 10 years I've been on the Bullseye-L email list there have been only occasional but persistent reports of shooters with some pistols, the S&W 41 comes to mind, trying to use an ammo that won't make anything that much resembles a group. A switch to another brand solved the problem for them. Just a quick test with a pistol rest or bags before you buy a large quantity of any ammo should confirm things for you and let you concentrate on developing your shooting skills rather than worrying about the equipment questions. As stated by others most quality 22's are capable of making reasonable groups with almost any ammo.

And yes, there can be a difference in impact point between brands of ammo, but they usually are fairly small and depending on your skill level you might not even notice it.
pistoldad

sighting in 22

Post by pistoldad »

Ned,
In rifle there is a hugh deal with 22 amo. In rifle you are consirned if you can put it in the same hole, or at least all touching. However in pistol
Very few people have a hand that steady. Find one that cycles good and just stay with it
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

While I agree that reliability is a must, in my experience the quality of the ammo IS significant to its performance w/ regards to accuracy. It's just that w/ pistols you don't tend to see such dramatic improvements past a given quality threshold. But if you were to compare budget Remington to even a mid-priced match ammo like Jagd, the distinction becomes obvious.

I'd be willing to wager that the individuals who are downplaying the significance of the brand and grade are still using better ammo, even if it's not a premium line.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Yep, Solomon, you're right. I practice with Eley Target Pistol on my 50 meter range and I shoot 50 yard matches with Eley Pistol Match. I wasn't able to see an impact change. {I was shooting 530s Free at the time}.
The pistol target is big compared to the rifle target. I tested my free pistol off sandbags and it shot well in the X ring.
When I shot outdoor prone, I tested ammo. The late Frank Boyd found an excellent lot of Eley in the late 80s or early 90s that shot well in my rifle, too.
New pistol shooters should not be too concerned with lot to lot accuracy and especially don't get into the habit of blaming the ammo for a flier.
Ben