Is a series 80 worth making into a HB gun?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bentrod

Is a series 80 worth making into a HB gun?

Post by bentrod »

I have a Colt 1991 stainless. Would it be worth while sending this off to a good smith to make into a real good HB gun? I would save about $900 doing it this way.

Jim
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

In my humble opinion as a non-gunsmith, no.

1) Your Colt probably doesn't have a tight slide-to-frame fit. While it could be tightened, you'd get better results by having a gunsmith start from scratch (so to speak) with parts designed to be hand fitted.

2) Many gunsmiths don't like to work on stainless steel pistols.

3) The extra parts for the firing pin block in a Colt Series 80 pistol make it harder to get a great trigger pull. It's possible, but why start with a disadvantage?

4) Lots of people will pay extra for a Colt pistol. You could sell your Colt and use the proceeds to buy whatever slide and frame your favorite gunsmith prefers.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Yes; some smiths don't like stainless, though.
6string

Post by 6string »

My 2 cents: ;-)
The point about stainless steel is worth considering since it can be problematic to some gunsmiths. The issue is galling between the stainless slide and frame. One solution is the Clark slide guide which uses an attachment to the dust cover and a couple set screws to take up slide frame slop. It's adjustable and allows for wear over the long haul.
The extra trigger parts can be replaced with conventional 1911 parts by using a conversion kit available from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... TION%20KIT

I haven't seen many series 80s at matches, but for the $$ you are talking about saving, it might be worth a go.
However, since you are talking about hardball, I don't know if the stuff I've mentioned would be match legal. Certainly it would be OK for a wad gun. I do know that many of the old school military match pistolsmiths did allow for a bit of slide play when fitting slide and frame alone. The barrel was then fitted so that the hood and lugs (especially the lugs) took up this bit of play when the gun was locked up. One reason this was done was many thought it enhanced reliability; the slide reciprocated very easily once the barrel unlocked.

Best Wishes!
Jim
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The Clark Slide Guide is not legal on a "Service Pistol" (hardball), In addition, disabling the Series 80 safety is not allowed under the NRA rules.

Richard Ashmore
Misny

Post by Misny »

Since you already have the series 80, I'd say go for it! I would consider getting the Krieger Accurail system installed. This will give you a solid slide-to-frame fit and will make the slide feel like it is running on ball bearings. I have the system on my hardball gun. Make sure that whomever does the work on your pistol, understands that when doing the trigger job, the little extra parts that the series 80 came with must remain in place. With a good trigger job, good sights (Champion seem to have filled the vacuum, left when Bomar went under), and a new barrel and bushing, you ought to be on your way to Leg points.
mikeschroeder

Re: Is a series 80 worth making into a HB gun?

Post by mikeschroeder »

bentrod wrote:I have a Colt 1991 stainless. Would it be worth while sending this off to a good smith to make into a real good HB gun? I would save about $900 doing it this way.

Jim
Hi

You already own a .45 ACP. Do you shot Bullseye now? If not, this Colt may be an acceptable starter gun for all conventional pistol EXCEPT as a hardball gun. I'd ask several of the better pistolsmiths on Bullseye-L or those listed here. There are series 80 guns discussed on the net. It's definitely NOT the optimal solution.

Mike
Wichita KS

Post by Guest »

I have a Colt 1991 stainless. Would it be worth while sending this off to a good smith to make into a real good HB gun? I would save about $900 doing it this way.
Send the 1991 and $825 to Clark Custom guns and you'll get back a guaranteed 2.5" ball gun. I've seen more than a few ball guns built by Clark on a series 80 frame. They all were excellent.
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

Anonymous wrote:
Send the 1991 and $825 to Clark Custom guns and you'll get back a guaranteed 2.5" ball gun. I've seen more than a few ball guns built by Clark on a series 80 frame. They all were excellent.
Were they stainless?
Jaybar

Post by Jaybar »

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Were they stainless?
I've only seen one stainless Colt built by Clark and it was good. The manufacturers solved the stainless galling problem a long time ago by using different stainless alloys for the slide and for the frame. Contact Clark at http://clarkcustomguns.com and ask them directly about building a ball gun on a stainless gun.
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

Jaybar wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

Were they stainless?
I've only seen one stainless Colt built by Clark and it was good. The manufacturers solved the stainless galling problem a long time ago by using different stainless alloys for the slide and for the frame. Contact Clark at http://clarkcustomguns.com and ask them directly about building a ball gun on a stainless gun.
Jaybar,

I called Clark today, he said the newer stainless is good, my gun is mid '90's.

Jim
Misny

Post by Misny »

The slide to frame fit will not be as tight to begin with. They do this to prevent galling. The slide to frame fit will loosen more rapidly than a carbon steel gun. That is why I suggested the Kreiger rail system for your stainless steel gun. It is cheaper to have it installed on a new gun than one which has had a fitted frame and slide.
bentrod

Post by bentrod »

Thanks for the replies, I am now thinking of a Les Baer ball gun. Any thoughts on this?

Jim
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

bentrod wrote:Thanks for the replies, I am now thinking of a Les Baer ball gun. Any thoughts on this?

Jim
Hi

I have one, I'd buy another one. 4.7 grains of Titegroup under your 230 grain Winchester FMJ's. Gil Hebard's in Knoxville Illinois usually has them in stock. I bought mine through Champion's Choice.

Mike
Wichita KS
Misny

Post by Misny »

Don't discount the Rock River. I think they make excellent "off the shelf" bullseye pistols. They go to Camp Perry every year and support their guns, the shooters, and the matches. You won't find anyone who will back their product better.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

+1 on the RRA. I've got one of their hardball pistols and am happy with it.

BnB Custom in Pa often carries a few RRA pistols if you want to avoid the wait.
Guest Twenty

Rock River

Post by Guest Twenty »

Rock River has what they call "stocking dealers". They should have the complete line in stock. I bought my RR HB gun from Gunbroker via a "stocking dealer" in Texas. I had it in three days. It is fantastick with superb fir and finish.