Air arms ev2

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

need help

Air arms ev2

Post by need help »

Is there anyone out there that would recomend the Air Arms ev2? I have been looking at them real hard and cannot decide, How do they compare with everything else in the $2000. price range? Need help,
Thanks,, JC
dalekeith

EV2 Owner

Post by dalekeith »

Please note I am an avid pellet gun shooter. I shoot in my backyard and sometimes at a rifle range. I do not compete in matches but do shoot several days a week for relaxation.
I own an EV2 and have shot about 900 pellets. My rifle likes the Crossman Premier 7.9 gr pellet. I sort the pellets by weight and apply a very, very slight amount of lube to the pellets. This rifle has a fixed power of about 11.5 fpe. The pellet speed is about 760 fps. It is a PCP rifle for the European style field target (FT) shooting - thus it is advertised as a 12 lbs. rifle. The weight of the rifle is moderate. The fit of the stock to the rifle is very good. The trigger is very nice and is fully adjustable with less than a 4 oz firing pressure on my rifle. It has a built-in level and a small wire for the attachment a some cloth to watch the wind. The butt is fully adjustable for FT. I purchased a red one and mounted a 6X24 model 4200 Bushnell. For my shooting the scope fits nicely relative to eye relief and clarity. I have not experimented with various pellets - possibly in the future. I did try the CP 10.5 gr. pellets with a resulting average of 680 fps.
Accuracy is relative to your use of the rifle. I am shooting FT targets from 10 to 42 yards - the limit of my backyard. Thus the accuracy is more me than the rifle. I have shot the rifle on paper when setting up the scope. At 25 yards I was shooting one ragged hole from a hand-held sandbag rest. There is no external power adjustment. The rifle is easy to fill from a scuba tank. I usually refill when the gauge shows less than 100 bar. The rifle comes with the filling fittings. I fill the rifle VERY, VERY slooooowly and use the gauge on the scuba tank to verify a 200 bar fill. I have never tried to fill the rifle from a hand pump.
If you are interested in more power - the 18 fpe range - you should look at another rifle. The 18 fpe range will allow you to shoot FT with heavier pellets. If you are satisfied with 12 fpe, the EV2 is a great choice. If you buy the rifle and decide after shooting you need more power, Joe Korick can replace the regulator and 18 fpe is attained. More power, the 24 fpe range, would require a new regulator and a longer barrel.
Now the issue for you is to decide what you are going to shoot and what power do you need relative to your targets and desired pellets. If you are a 10mm shooter, I would suggest a rifle with non-optic sights.
For my shooting the EV2 in the standard configuration is perfect. Also please note that the rifle has a moderate muzzle report. It has less noise than a 800 fps springer. I shoot in the backyard and have good neighbors. Be sure to consider the muzzle report and where you will be shooting.
When I was setting up the rifle I did notice the screws holding the rifle in the stock were a bit loose. I set them to finger-tight with a hex wrench. An inch-lbs. torque wrench would probably be more precise.
In any event I am very satisfied with the rifle as delivered. I bought it to shoot but it also looks good. The ultimate justification for the purchase of the rifle came from my wife when she said, " Wow, that is your prettiest gun."

Good Luck and I hope my simply review helps.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have no interest in this gun, but I would just like to comment that dalekeith has provided a model review, that should be of enormous benefit to anyone who is interested in the gun. Great job!

FredB