Diagnosing doubles from my IZH 35M

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

solomon grundy

Diagnosing doubles from my IZH 35M

Post by solomon grundy »

Today I'd tried Sk Jagd's Pistol Match ammo w/ very good accuracy results. But for the first time, the pistol is doubling. The only other time that I've encountered this, it's was due to insufficient sear engagement.

Any advice on isolating the cause?

I'd like be able to use this ammo reliably. The 50yd groups were some of the best I've shot.
william

Post by william »

This is a very good Izh35 resource http://izh.petebrunelli.com/

Some of the history is wrong, but otherwise good stuff, and I think there's a section on firing pin issues.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've always found my IZH-35's to be ammo sensitive to doubling. I never found out the actual cause, but changing ammo fixed the problem. The older "greasy" Russian Junior(brass) ammo shot case after case reliable.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I'll give it a good cleaning, test it, and then try adjusting the trigger. I'd shot it again today and though the doubling was less frequent, it did occur twice. It feels like the trigger isn't resetting.
Dr. Jim

doubling

Post by Dr. Jim »

Check the "lump" on the trigger bar. I had a Walther KSP200 version that came to me as "non-functional" - it would occasionally double, occasionally shoot just one. The missng lump on the trigger bar was the interrupter and once welded back on the gun functioned perfectly irrespective of the ammo.
Cheers --- Dr Jim
R.E. Smalley

izh problems

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Hi all;

Mine triples with Federal 714. WOOHOO! It happens so fast you think it's just a double.

So far not a problem with anything else, but I don't experiment with it.

The guy I shot next to at Perry this year told me that headspace changing due to soft metallugy can cause slam fires.

Someone else told me that the extractor can cause slam fires.

Good Luck,
RES

Post by Guest »

headspace changing due to soft metallugy can cause slam fires
The breech face of some 35's isn't properly hardened. This surface is gradually peened by the bolt and deforms. But I can tell that that's not the case here.

The two that I own have been very reliable. I haven't experienced any of the problems that are associated w/ the 'bad apple' 35's.
tenex

Post by tenex »

My pistol was doubling due to insufficient head space (try to catch the second shell, mine had no firing pin mark). I thought I had mis-adjusted the trigger but I was wrong.

I sent mine to EAA for repair (free repair, $40 for return shipping!). They may still fix them even though they no longer import them.

Steve.

Post by Guest »

My IZH had a habbit of doubling every once in a while. It doubled consistently with Federal 711B. After reading several articles on the subject, I decided to examine the gun. I stripped the pistol and used a 10X Coddinton magnifier to check the bolt face. Sure enough, it had quite a bit of peening. A few careful minutes with an X-acto knife and a stone removed the burrs. I took it to the range and fired about 200 rounds. No doubling, but there were two failures to eject. I blamed this on chilly temps (about 55 deg.). Another trip to the range, this time with temps in the mid 70s, showed perfect fuctioning. I will report more when the pistol has more rounds through it.