25m RFP Proposed changes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Azmodan

Re: 25m RFP Proposed changes

Post by Azmodan »

any update on this?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Pardini SP
CFP: Pardini HP
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
BR50: CZ 457 LRP
Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett »

john bickar wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:44 pm Having been involved in this sport for going on three decades, ISSF seems hell-bent on destroying Rapid Fire Pistol.

"Start from zero" in the finals is straight garbage.

"...presenting results in a more friendly way for a better understanding and more exciting final competition" - give me a freakin' break. That's a mealy-mouthed way of saying that it's going to be watered down. Again.
John, are you suggesting that the RF competition at an event such as the Olympics should only consist of the present qualification stage? If so, then the sport will disappear. The current final round of 6 competitors shooting over 8 series on a hit or miss basis is easily followed by a non-shooter. Should it be scored on top of the qualification round then it would exclude some of the final competitors from having any chance of success. My understanding is that at present to qualify for an ISSF final in RF, you need a score of at least 280 or better. That would mean that those competitors who only just qualified would have no chance of overhauling someone who qualified 290 or better. I stand to be corrected.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

If someone gained a significant advantage in qualification I don't see how it's wrong that they benefit from that. This idea that we need to make shooting more "interesting" by having more volatile finals irritates me to no end.

It's a sport about consistency and endurance... but the moment it gets televised (once every 4 years... probably in the summary segment) we throw all that out the window to present more excitement for an audience that barely cares?

Shooting is a sport for participants. I hate this mindset that we warp it for the benefit the 10minutes coverage it gets at the Olympics. The extra absurd thing is that the most likely people to watch shooting are people that do participate. And to them the ever changing finals formats are actually less recognizable than the qualification would be.

If you ask someone "what's your record?" no one gives you their best finals score. Everyone considers "qualification" the main event and finals some oddity that gets tacked on once in a while. At least over here.