Breaking in a new jacket and pants kit.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jen78

Breaking in a new jacket and pants kit.

Post by Jen78 »

Hey everyone I'm new to Target talk. I shoot in Australia and I shoot air rifle and 3 position. I have just ordered my first ever complete kit and Im wondering if anyone can give me some tips for breaking it in when it gets here.
Thanks
alpineboard

Re: Breaking in a new jacket and pants kit.

Post by alpineboard »

My opinion about this, I do not want to break it in. Have a pair of Gehman trousers for more than a year, using them daily, that have yet to be folded and just stand them vertically in the corner when not using them.
As far as coats go, shoot with it, and it will naturally conform to your needs, try to keep its rigidity, because once its gone, you can not get it back.
Curious as to what others think about this. ??
Last edited by alpineboard on Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

IMO that is a good opinion.
BrazosbyNemo

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

alpineboard wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:16 am My opinion about this, I do not want to break it in. Have a pair of Gehman trousers for more than a year, using them daily, that have yet to be folded and just stand them vertically in the corner when not using them.
As far as coats go, shoot with it, and it will naturally conform to your needs, try to keep its rigidity, because once its gone, you can not get it back.
Curious as to what others think about this. ??
I have been waiting for someone with experience using shooting suits to answer this. I have just bought them for my daughter. From my point of view just shoot and try to maintain the stiffness the best you can. Let it slowly break in with use over time. When it breaks in too much you may be ready for a new one.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

Stiffness is a big topic of discussion, there was a rule change a few years ago that increased the possible thickness by close to a factor of 2.
The original thickness is still available, but now x2 thickness is available. Also if your interested, look at the procedure for material thickness test.
Capapie has an interesting recipe for their pass the test methods. If you look at the pictures of the match shooters, in particular their garments, and how they drape on their bodies, you can see that there has been a change.
I have been tossing around the idea of adding canvas to the interior of my coat, as an experimental learning process.
Not sure if the thicker material is for everyone, and it may require a different style, method of shooting. ...?