Best PCP Air gun for beginner- (Budget-friendly)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Competitionshooter

Best PCP Air gun for beginner- (Budget-friendly)

Post by Competitionshooter »

Hello All, I'm on a low budget but want to get the best bang for my buck. Looking for something that isn't super loud ( have neighbors )and could use it for fun target shooting competitions. Something that isn't crazy hard to figure out. I also would prefer it to be something that will last at least for a year or two. My budget is at max $1000. What options do I have? I know my criteria are hard to work with but i am sure there's much I haven't explored yet. THANKS A TON GUYS.
renzo

Re: Best PCP Air gun for beginner- (Budget-friendly)

Post by renzo »

You didn't say if you wanted a rifle or a pistol........................................
BrazosbyNemo

Re: Looking for Best PCP Air gun for beginner- (Budget-friendly)

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

Do you want it for 10M air rifle or just a PCP to shoot? If it’s for 10M air rifle just keep watching this site for a good used one to come up in your budget. A new one will be north of $1500. If it’s for shooting in general then there are a lot of options for $1000 or less new.
Competitionshooter

I’m looking for Air pistol to practice and also use in competitions. I have been looking for used one but I don’t that deep knowledge to decide if it’s good for the price. Also there are lot of scammers around. Kindly suggest some brands to look for in and around $1000. Appreciate your response.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you have a Grand, you should be able to get a top of the line PCP. Look at the For Sale and pick one.

I have both a Walther LPM1 (SSP) and a couple of SAMs (PCP), and I've owned many others.

For a beginner, I would definitely buy a SSP; lower cost all around, more dependable, cheaper to repair, less likely to
need repair, less PIA to support.
Competitionshooter

Thanks for your response,
Can you recommend any site where I could buy one? Also how does this dealer thing work? Do I have to go to the nearest store which shows on Walter’s dealer map and ask them to order one for me? I’m really clueless as to how it works.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Things to look for might be:
Air Arms Alfa PCP Competition Pistol, new I think they are a little more than $1000 but you might find one used.
Some versions of the Hammerli AP20 dial in under $1000.
Air Venturi Comp10 is well below $1000

The Air Arms is probably the best of the lot with Hammerli coming in 2nd. For quality of the trigger pull (very critical for pistols) none of these are going to match a Morini or Steyr but they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

Good Luck
'dude
justadude

Post by justadude »

Competitionshooter wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:33 am Thanks for your response,
Can you recommend any site where I could buy one? Also how does this dealer thing work? Do I have to go to the nearest store which shows on Walter’s dealer map and ask them to order one for me? I’m really clueless as to how it works.
Air guns are not regulated the way firearms are. You can order from whomever you like and they can ship it directly to you. Unless you live in NJ. In NJ they got their own drummer and sets of laws so even for airguns you gotta go through hoops. There are probably other jurisdictions now as well but air guns are usually pretty easy.

'dude
Competitionshooter

If possible can you provide me some links where I buy and they could ship directly to me. I live in Illinois btw
Competitionshooter

Thanks for your response dude.
justadude

Post by justadude »

These are cut and past from your similar post in Buy Sell Trade but these are some guns that would be reasonable starter air pistols

Air Arms Alfa PCP Competition Pistol, new I think they are a little more than $1000 but you might find one used.
Some versions of the Hammerli AP20 dial in under $1000.
Air Venturi Comp10 is well below $1000

Places like Pyramid Air or Air Gun Depot should be able to set you up new. They are big enough, if there are any issues with shipping to IL they should know what they are. If you call or chat with them, they will likely have some recommendations that are better than mine. (I am mostly a rifle shooter)

For used: you can try Gun Broker, Guns International and Guns America for larger websites that buy sell and trade both fire arms and air arms.

This site is kind of a pain to insert links but any decent search engine should be able to get you to the items or places I have mentioned above.

'dude
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could email the guy who runs this site. See what he has in the way of used guns.

You may not get an immediate response since he may be at Commercial Row at the
NRA National Championships.

You may want to just drop by Camp Perry. Lots of stuff for sale by the competitors.
I bought my first real "match" AP there.
Competitionshooter

Thanks Rover and dude for your response.
Yes I did inquired about it on multiple platforms to get most of your opinions. Thanks again. I will reach out to the mentioned people and update here if I stuck somewhere.
Competitionshooter

Would this be a good fit to practice 10M and competitions? Air Venturi Comp10 Match PCP Air Pistol-$599-new. And a PCP hand pump? Any thoughts,.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would not buy anything but Walther, Pardini, FWB, Hammerli, Morini, or Steyr.

Buy used, and as I said, buy a SSP to save some real bucks without handicapping yourself.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

(Moderator edit- identical topics merged.)
Bobl

Post by Bobl »

Lots of good advice based on decades of experience. However they didn't really answer your question. Pyramid Air, Airgun Depot, or Airguns of arizona are good online dealers. Yes the Air Venturi comp 10 is a good place to start. Also consider the Reximex RPA. regulated PCP for $430. Or even a Crossman 1701P. I got mine for handgun silhouette for $320 on Amazon. Are they as good as my FWB or Morini- no of course not, but all are good starting points.
Don't go cheap on the hand pump. stick with a HIll or equivalent. Much more efficient and part/rebuild kits are readily available. Since you are the engine that drives the machine spend the extra $.

Jump in and enjoy.
"Don't argue with success"
Competitionshooter

Bobl, Thank you so much for your inputs. I really appreciate your time to clear out my confusion being a newbie to this sport.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Stop your whining and jump on this NOW!

He has other guns, too.

A dependable source.

https://www.airguns.net/classifieds/sho ... rOfPages=1
Competitionshooter

Thanks rover, emailed the seller!