Which cities in the United States offer good training for Olympic Air Pistol shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Harsha21

Which cities in the United States offer good training for Olympic Air Pistol shooting?

Post by Harsha21 »

Hello all,

I'm a beginner and recently started getting very interested in the Olympic Air Pistol shooting scene and I want to get into this sport and wish to compete at high levels in the future. I'm 21 and I'll be graduating college in less than a year, I'm looking into cities where I can get good training in this sport and maybe if all goes good I can try getting a job in that city. Currently, I live in Arlington, TX and there's only one club in all of DFW called Team Shooting Stars that trains Air Pistol and Air Rifle but they said they are full right now and cannot accept any more shooters. I looked into this a little bit and I found that Camp Perry, Ohio and Anniston, Alabama has really Air Gun centers, so was wondering if many cities have Air Pistol places to shoot like them or Air Pistol clubs or is it actually rare and hard to get into competitive Air Pistol shooting as an adult.
bridgetkeble

Re: Which cities in the United States offer good training for Olympic Air Pistol shooting?

Post by bridgetkeble »

Here are some places where you can learn more:

Colorado Springs, Colorado - Home to USA Shooting and the Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs is a major hub for shooting sports, including air pistols.

Los Angeles, California - The Los Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club (LAPRAAC) offers excellent facilities and training programs for a variety of shooting disciplines, including air pistols.

Atlanta, Georgia - The Atlanta International Shooting Club offers facilities and training opportunities for competitive shooting sports, including air pistols.

Phoenix, Arizona - Ben Avery Shooting Range is one of the largest public shooting facilities in the United States and offers training and practice for air pistol shooters.

These cities have access to dedicated shooting ranges and experienced instructors, which can be beneficial for those training for Olympic air pistol shooting.
Rover

Re: Which cities in the United States offer good training for Olympic Air Pistol shooting?

Post by Rover »

I second Colorado Springs (lived there).

Phoenix AZ has a bunch of ranges (coaching?). I lived there, too. Check out PRGC's Desert Midwinter National. You can play with the big boys at the largest match West of the Mississippi.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Harsha21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:28 pm . . . was wondering if many cities have places to shoot like them . . . .
Chicago's South Side would be a great place to train for the new Olympic Drive-By event.

Going to be a demonstration sport in Los Angeles 2028. Pairs well with Olympic Breakdancing.
w4ti

Post by w4ti »

Atlanta hasn't had the international shooting venue (that was built for the 1996 Olympics) for approximately 20 years, maybe a little more. It was repurposed by the county, the equipment is long gone.

Thanks,
Chase
william

Post by william »

If mental training - staying calm and focused while under stress - is part of your agenda, I suggest Boston. Nothing to do with a pistol, driving a car
BrazosbyNemo

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

I would add the two CMP locations in Aniston, Al and Camp Perry in OH.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Look for places that have a decent number of competitions. Example: In the National Capital area, there are two or three clubs holding monthly matches.
K38

Post by K38 »

Contact USA Shooting and hold their feet to the fire. They are supposed to help you find a coach and a place to learn.
Metikmas

Post by Metikmas »

Mike M. wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:36 pm Look for places that have a decent number of competitions. Example: In the National Capital area, there are two or three clubs holding monthly matches.
Do you mind sending some club info for the DC area? The only thing I could find was the Isaac Walton League facility out near Dulles.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

That's one. Also check the 12th Precinct Pistol Club (Annapolis, MD), and the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club (actually in Manassas, VA).
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

We should be holding matches the 3rd Sunday of the month at the 12th Precinct from October to March.
Metikmas

Post by Metikmas »

Mike M. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:32 pm That's one. Also check the 12th Precinct Pistol Club (Annapolis, MD), and the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club (actually in Manassas, VA).
Thanks! I sent you a PM with a few more questions.
Rover

Post by Rover »

K38 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:08 am Contact USA Shooting and hold their feet to the fire. They are supposed to help you find a coach and a place to learn.
USA Shooting is based at the OTC in Colorado Springs.
Harsha21

Post by Harsha21 »

The Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, isn’t it only for Olympic or national level players? Or could even beginners like me get training there?
Harsha21

Post by Harsha21 »

K38 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:08 am Contact USA Shooting and hold their feet to the fire. They are supposed to help you find a coach and a place to learn.
Thank you, I will do that. Also Austen Smith is a classmate of mine at UTA. I don’t know if maybe she knows some contacts in air pistol that could help me find coaching and a place to train in the DFW area.