Longslide popularity

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

longfellow

Longslide popularity

Post by longfellow »

I've read from quite a few high level shooters, both past and present, nearly unanimous preference for standard five inch 1911's ,when the subject of long slides comes up. Why do you think then are there so many six inch Clark/Giles, etc. long slide guns out there being resold? The predominant concern that I've read seems to be that the longer sight radius is not enough of an advantage to overcome the added skill necessary in the "follow through" phase of a good shot process. This makes good sense I suppose. For whom were the pistolsmiths of the 50's and 60's building these long slides? They sure do seem to have a ton of rounds through them based on visible signs of use so I would say that more than a few experimental, early adopters were doing quite well with these six inch guns. And given the fair amount of effort that Clark expended to cut and weld up six inch slides in the days when no commercial long slides existed, seems to be a sign that there was a strong demand. Maybe none of them got out of Sharpshooter though.
Thanks guys,
Ed
Mike M.

Re: Longslide popularity

Post by Mike M. »

I think it's more a matter of weight. Clap a dot on a 1911 and it comes up to the weight of a longslide pistol.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I'm doubtful the extra 1/10,000th of a second of barrel time really requires extra attention to follow through.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've observed that many "ways" of the shooting games tend to be constantly changing fads.
Muzzlestuffer

Post by Muzzlestuffer »

I prefer a longslide for balance and weight i just ordered a new RRA long slide bullseye gun six month wait but I did order a lower for the Nelson conversion that should come in a few weeks.
High Left

Post by High Left »

Swarzenegger ....

'Long slide mit laser sighting' ...

What better marketing could there be?
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Never saw the need for a long slide once red dots were allowed.
longfellow

Post by longfellow »

I should have mentioned that I shoot irons only so it is with this configuration only that I am looking for input. I'm actually considering the six inch 45 for a new, complete lower that I've had for a while. But as many have already said, it doesn't seem to offer anything. I would like the extra mass but that can be accomplished with a Rock River/ Bomar / Aristocrat rib. The added sight radius might be a curse in TF/RF as well. And in an AR article from 1960 where a dozen or so Bullseye shooters were asked about their equipment, none used a long slide in either their Clark 38 special conversions for CF or their 45's. Yes, the Clark 38 Special conversion was dominant in that year among those shooters. Still though, for whom was Clark building all of those long sides?
Brian74montecarlo

Post by Brian74montecarlo »

I saw a few custom 5” guns that had a special front sight that extended past the front of the barrel an inch or so that could help with the longer sight radius for iorns but without extra weight up front