elbow pain and hypermobility

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CuH

elbow pain and hypermobility

Post by CuH »

I have natural hypermobility in my elbow, and my elbow bends noticeably beyond 180 degree when I am holding the pistol. I recently increased the amount of training, and noticed pain at the inside of my elbow after shooting, which was diagnosed as golfer's elbow. I've tried shooting with a straight elbow, but since I had to use muscle to prevent my elbow from hyperextending, my hold then became very unstable due to movement around the elbow joint and the additional muscle involvement. I saw that a significant portion of the women air pistol shooters in the Olympics Final also have their elbow bent beyond 180 degree. They must be training way more than I do, so I've been wondering how they aren't injuring their elbow shooting like that. Is there any other solution to this besides physical therapy?
Attachments
shooters with elbow hypermobility in the Olympics Final
shooters with elbow hypermobility in the Olympics Final
m1963

Re: elbow pain and hypermobility

Post by m1963 »

I used to suffer from tennis elbow, shooting air pistol. It got so bad I could not practice and almost quit the sport. Changing to a pistol with a fully adjustable grip angle made the difference (it changed my hold) and I am happily shooting again. If your pistol does not have a fully adjustable grip angle, try one that does and see if that helps. If it does work for you, be sure to let us know. I am certain the response will help others.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The college team I help coach has a had a number of women (and a few guys) that have hypermobility. It doesn't bother most of them. The one that have had issues were typically "over-locking" their elbow. You only need enough tension in the joint to immobilize the bones/cartilage, which really doesn't take much.

Tennis elbow is another issue, and can be nasty. I had it years ago, and it took a long time to get over, in part because I kept shooting. I'd put a hotpack on it before shooting, and ice it afterward, and took a lot of Motrin. I'd recommend backing off & letting it heal to get back faster. If you can, shoot with your other hand. A lot of the skills required transfer over. I shot lefty for a while, and at least got to the point where my best left handed scores were better than my worst right-handed scores before my elbow improved.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

What works for me for elbow and shoulder shooting issues is physical therapy with weights. You will have to reduce a bit your training load at the beginning, but it gets better really quick.