Inline filter for air compressor to remove moisture

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dcpln

Inline filter for air compressor to remove moisture

Post by dcpln »

I'm looking at this particular air compressor - https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air- ... or?a=12619

However I'm worried that since this doesn't include a filter, moisture is going to get into the cylinder eventually.

If I add my own inline filter to this air compressor, will the air compressor still work even if the inline filter can only handle somewhere around 150 PSI?
If not, what solutions do I have to remove moisture? (I think hand pumps are out of the question & not sure if a scuba tank is possible for my situation)
m1963

Re: Inline filter for air compressor to remove moisture

Post by m1963 »

The compressor should not run long enough to build significant moisture when just filling an air pistol cylinder.

A scuba tank is a much better idea, if you can work it out. Small compressors like that are prone to failure.
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

For $500 do yourself a favor and get the GX Pump CS4. The pump is water cooled and runs at a low RPM so it doesn't build a ton of heat. Depending on the cylinder you are filling you may just need a small filter like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Creation-Core-Pr ... r=8-2&th=1
dcpln

Post by dcpln »

Thanks - I think what I’ll do is get a tank for sure after doing some more research (even if it’s a lot less convenient). Where I live gets upwards of 80%+ humidity so trying to reduce moisture as much as possible is important. I’ll think about also getting a capable compressor to fill.
BrazosbyNemo

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

I wouldn’t bother getting a tank. Especially for a pistol. Get a small compressor and just fill the gun with it. Look at a GX CS2. It would be perfect for a pistol. I bought the battery version of it recently (GX E-L2) to use on the road instead of hauling around a tank. It has pretty well convinced me to sell my tank and just start fill my rifles and pistols using the compressor. It doesn’t take long and the pump hardly gets warm. A pistol you could fill in a minute. Many years ago, when I got into this, you had to have a tank. In the past few years everything has changed. You really don’t need a tank anymore. I think most all of us just own a tank and are accustom to having one and looking for a decent compressor to fill the tank. If you are filling tanks you need a decent compressor, ways to deal with moisture, etc. Forget all that. Just fill the gun.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Used tank, with pressure test and fill= $100....No maintenance. Filling pistol cylinders, maybe 70 times. Cheap compressor (anything less than about $3k), means endless maintenance. I really think people should consider the ramifications of buying and maintaining a cheap compressor....
BrazosbyNemo

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

No doubt there are some cheap, crappy compressors but some are pretty decent. Just don’t fill tanks with them. They will have no problem filling your pistol air cylinder directly one minute at a time. You are correct though if you plan to fill tanks you need a good compressor which means big dollars. I plan to buy a GX CS4 for my main fill compressor, as mention by another above. It is a 4 stage compressor rated to 5800psi and 5 hour run times. That compressor will last me a lifetime filling rifle and pistol air cylinders 1-2 minutes at a time to 200 bar every handful of days or weeks.

If just filling a pistol air cylinder then you are correct a used scuba tank is a good option assuming you live somewhere that has a scuba shop to fill. The OP was asking about a compressor he was considering buying, though now I go back and read his post he did not mention using it to fill tanks. He was worried about using a filter for moisture and the compressor being able to handle it. In that case if the filter isn’t crazy big it should be fine. With the short run time and little heat built up a big filter isn’t really needed.
Rover

Post by Rover »

My club had an excellent compressor. I used it to top off my SCUBA tank. Bozos screwed it up.

Go with a SCUBA tank.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Air Venturi sells a couple of compressors that might be OK, but they are still ~ $1150 & up. Amazon has lots of cheap compressors, but it you look at the reviews, a lot of them die catastrophically in pretty short order.

The $1150 one Air Venturi sells is actually from Hill, and I would trust that long before I'd get anything from China.