Austen Smith Wins Her First Olympic Medal: Bronze in Women’s Skeet

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

Austen Smith Wins Her First Olympic Medal: Bronze in Women’s Skeet

Post by USA Shooting »

Austen Smith after earning a bronze Olympic medal Women’s Skeet at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games Aug. 4. Photo by Joshua Schave

By Brittany Nelson, USAS Public Relations & Communications Manager

CHATEAUROUX, France (Aug. 3, 2024) –Austen Smith, of Keller, Texas, earns bronze in Women’s Skeet at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games at the Chateauroux Shooting Rage in France Aug. 4.

Smith is no stranger to success and the podium. She has over 20 international medals and is extremely happy to add an Olympic medal to her collection.

“I am elated. I am over the moon and loving every moment of it,” said Smith. “Just to have an Olympic medal is my dream.”

Smith is coached by four-time Olympic gold medalist Vincent Hancock. Hancock earned his fourth gold in Men’s Skeet at the Paris Games Aug. 3.

Smith made her Olympic debut in Tokyo 2020 where she placed 10th overall. When asked what changed for her between Tokyo and Paris, she spoke about improving her mental game.

“I did a lot of mental training actually,” said Smith, who currently attends the University of Texas at Arlington. “Back then I relied a lot on my emotions especially during major matches. I definitely focused more on that and making sure I am thinking the right things every single time I step in the station.”

Smith shot an overall qualification score of 122/125. She tied Amber Rutter, of Great Britian, in qualifications and then won a 14 point shoot off, earning herself the number one bib for the final. In the final, Smith bested Vanessa Hockova, of Slovakia, who placed fourth. View official results here.

Dania Vizzi, of Odessa, Florida, also competed in Women’s Skeet at the Paris Games. She made her Olympic debut and finished 12th with a score of 118/125. View official results here.

On Aug. 5, the final day for shooting competition, Mixed Team Skeet will make it’s Olympic debut at the Paris Games. USA team one is Hancock and Smith and USA team two is Conner Prince and Vizzi.

“Vinny and I are a strong team, and I am expecting great things from us,” said Smith. “We want to bring home as many medals as possible for Team USA. “

Follow @USAShooting on Instagram, Facebook, and X to stay up to date as the team competes in Paris 2024.

About USA Shooting

USA Shooting, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation was chartered by the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee as the National Governing Body for the Olympic & Paralympic Shooting Sports in April 1995. The organization develops and implements programs to promote growth in the sport and serves as a sanctioning body for local and national competitions. Headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Center, USA Shooting has a full-time staff dedicated to our sport.