Beginner questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nimeninimeni

Beginner questions

Post by nimeninimeni »

Hello, I'm sure I'm one of many people coming in asking dumb questions around this time due to the Olympics. Please excuse me if I ask some questions that have been answered hundreds of times before, I work in IT so I basically google stuff for a living, but for whatever reason I'm having real trouble finding information about this sport online.

I'm a beginner, only shot an air rifle for a few hours years ago when my father borrowed his boss' so we can have a bit of fun shooting small metal targets we'd place around. I enjoyed it a lot but I was really busy with applying for college at that time, then went to college and completely forgot about this, until now when I watched the Olympics and it seems like a fun hobby to try and get good at.

I have some questions:

1. Are there any guides for getting started? Which equipment is needed, if there is cheaper beginner gear known to be good etc. Money is not a huge factor, but I'd prefer not to invest a lot if the hobby ends up not being for me.
2. I never tried pistol shooting but the rapid fire discipline for that seems appealing. Are there people in general that do both pistol and rifle or is it better to focus on one?
3. Ideally, I'd want to participate in some local competitions. Do I need to be registered to a sport club to enter them? The only club in my nearest city is a college one and from what I've seen they only have a junior team. I suppose I'd have to contact them and see if they have any room for adults (I'm 25) but if not am I screwed? I live in Eastern Europe btw, not sure if it matters.
4. If I were to start this hobby by just practicing in my yard would it be a mistake? I noticed in competitions shooters have a very specific posture so are there any bad habits that I could form?

Thank you in advance.
Tim S

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Tim S »

Hi,

1) Yes there are guides for getting started in Olympic rifle. Some are quite old, but are useful for basic technique. Yes, there are beginner brands/grades if kit. Clubs in Europe often have basic equipment for beginners to use until they get their own.
2) Target shooters tend to settle on rifle or pistol but it's not a rule. You can do both if you want.
3) See above.
4) Practising air rifle/pistol at home is common. Yes, it us possible to pick up bad habits.