10m in Houston?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Orion

10m in Houston?

Post by Orion »

Hi, I’m looking for a club that shoots 10m in Houston. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks
sandip

Re: 10m in Houston?

Post by sandip »

Hey, I am also looking for a shooting academy / training center for my daughter (12 yrs old) having 2 yrs of shooting experience and currently participating in a national school event (after winning gold in Zonal level) in India. She will be here in Houston and continue her practice for years.
Pls help if you have found any training center
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Hopefully someone from that area will chime in. Your best bet is to find a club that has an active Junior Olympics program. One of the young women shooting Sport Pistol at the Olympics in a few days (Ada Korkhin) started out in such a program in Massachusetts.

https://sports.yahoo.com/teenage-pistol ... 10277.html
sandip

Post by sandip »

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking for an Academy or training center which has some Olympic program for some time. Sill no luck.
Is there any school having similar kind of facilities?

If anyone has any information on this would be a great help.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Try contacting the Juniors Program Director of the Texas State Rifle Association: https://www.tsra.com/youth_programs.php
He would know who to talk to.

I know there is a VERY active program in the Dallas area, but that's quite a ways from Houston.
sandip

Post by sandip »

Thanks a lot. This link is very helpful. I will connect with them for more details. But only challenge is it is far from Houston.
BrazosbyNemo

Post by BrazosbyNemo »

I am not sure about 10M pistol but I know over in Rosenberg they shoot 10M rifle. It’s part of the FT Bend 4H. TSRA has the indoor 10M air and 3P smallbore state championships there in September every year. They at least have a range set up for 10M pistol. Worth looking into.
K38

Post by K38 »

I'm going to get daggers here but the folks from USA Shooting need to walk over to USA Archery and see how it's done. I needed some help with a coach for Compound target shooting. I had a return email inside of 30 minutes and made one telephone call and had a level three coach lined up to help me select equipment and fit me to a bow. I had not shot competitively in a long time and technology had changed a great deal. I find USA Shootings lack of responsiveness and lack of local and regional matches and coaching to be truly without any excuse. There should be at least air pistol and air rifle clubs sponsored by USA shooting in every major city. It does not take a large room and it just takes planning and effort neither of which I see on their part. I never get any response from them or the ISSF to any questions. They seem quite happy to take their salaries and titles but not produce much for the grass roots who pay their dues. I am an old nothing and in the end I don't matter at all but if we do not have strong local clubs involved in ISSF shooting for young people with trained coaches it will all go away.

DLB
kbean

Post by kbean »

For a state with so many "shooters", Texas is surprisingly limited on ISSF style shooting opportunities. 4H programs offer a good introduction, but not much else. You will have to pursue opportunities on your own, and Dallas is the closest place I know of. You can PM me if you would like, I can possibly point you in the direction of a 4H program if you are interested. I have been involved in 4H for ten years, and can speak from experience on needing to seek other opportunities for real development, especially in pistol.
K38

Post by K38 »

I think there is a group with an indoor range north and west of Austin. Contact USA Shooting. They are supposed to help.