Aguila 22 LR-SE Standard Velocity Ammunition

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Highstandard.USA

Aguila 22 LR-SE Standard Velocity Ammunition

Post by Highstandard.USA »

Last year at Camp Perry, the most asked question about the Aguila 22 LR Super Extra Standard Velocity Ammunition was about the Velocity. I only had the factory info which stated 1200 fps. I had been told by an Aguila Rep that the 1200 fps was the result of a test in a rifle test barrel. So, I decided for this year I would have it tested by a local Ammunition Manufacturer. He used one of our "X-Series" Victor Pistols with a 5 1/2" Barrel. The Muzzle Velocity average of 10rds was approx 1000 fps. - Alan Aronstein
Rover

Re: Aguila 22 LR-SE Standard Velocity Ammunition

Post by Rover »

Nice work!

Your testing indicates that one might use higher velocity ammo than Standard for target use.
I found this out while using CCI Blazer instead of SV during a .22 crunch. Cheap, too!
Highstandard.USA

Post by Highstandard.USA »

SAAMI considers 22 LR Standard Velocity Ammunition to be 1200 fps or LESS. I am NOT trying to say ALL Ammunition would have the Same result as the Aguila SE/SV. For example CCI SV publishes 1070 fps, I assume that is in a Test Barrel(Rifle-?). Based on the powder being a similar burn rate, I would guess that CCI would be 950 fps from a 5 1/2" Victor Barrel. I think that 22 LR Blazer lists 1335 fps and that is going give a higher fps. ALL of the factories use their own powder blends(burn Rate). This could also cause variations in fps in a 5 1/2" Barrel with the same 40gr lead bullet. I will try to have some more testing done after I return from Camp Perry.- Alan Aronstein
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

Rover wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:32 am Nice work!

Your testing indicates that one might use higher velocity ammo than Standard for target use.
I found this out while using CCI Blazer instead of SV during a .22 crunch. Cheap, too!
Rover,

Velocity is one thing to consider when selecting target ammunition. What about a given cartridge's operating pressure?

I'm no ballistics expert. But, wouldn't the use of some brands of high velocity ammunition be hard on a target pistol?
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

As I understand it, the velocity of bullets inside a barrel is proportional to the fourth root of the barrel length, Consequently, 1200 fps from a 26" barrel corresponds quite well to about 1000 fps from a 5.5" barrel.
David M

Post by David M »

Real World ammo test, Walther GSP500 barrel 123mm (4 7/8")
testing for rapidfire min 250 m/s
Gecco Semi Auto 293 m/s, 961 fps
CCI Std Vel 284 m/s, 961 fps
SK Std + 257 m/s, 843 fps
SK Pistol Match 251 m/s, 823 fps
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The velocity numbers on most .22 ammo boxes is meaningless for pistols, unless it's specifically pistol ammo. Because the market for rifle shooting is much much larger, it's typically tested in a 16" or longer barrel. The results can be wildly different in a 6" or shorter pistol barrel. Back in the mid-2000's, Greg Derr recommended Aguila sub-sonic ammo for Pardinis, and it worked great. My wife shot a couple cases without any problems. It had a nice soft recoil, but cycled just fine. Around 2010, they changed the powder formula slightly, and it wouldn't cycle the pistol any more.

You can achieve a given muzzle velocity in a rifle in a variety of ways. You can use a slower burning powder that pushes the bullet all the way down the barrel, accelerating as it goes. Or you can kick it in the butt with faster burning powder and let it coast most of the way. There a broad range of variations between the two approaches. The exit velocities from a rifle can be identical for those two extremes, but the performance in a short barrel will be markedly different.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Interesting.

I shot in a Portland, Oregon match last Saturday and Mel Makin, 2 Gold & 1 Silver medal recipient, was shooting to the right of me.

During lunch, we were talking about ammunition for 22lr auto-loading pistols.

He mentioned that the new TENEX does not shoot as well as the TENEX that came in the cardboard boxes.

Seems Eley changed the powder formulation.

For some reason, I get the feeling it pays off to test your gun/ammo combination in a machine rest.

Cheers,

Dave
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unless it's really inaccurate, I'd rather have slightly less accurate ammo that is 100% reliable than one-hole-group stuff that misfires, jams in the magazines, won't cycle the pistol reliably and/or has lube that gums up the pistol quickly (CCI: are you listening?).

As long as the standard deviation of the ammo is a small fraction of that of the shooter, it doesn't really matter for pistol. I've very rarely had any indication that there was a fundamental issue with accuracy in shooting a very wide range of .22 ammo in a variety of pistols over the years. The shots that aren't 10's are pretty much "0n-call" and my fault, not the ammo or the pistol. Now that I'm in my 70's, pinpoint precision ammo is the least of my worries...

The few times I've noticed something odd going on, it's always been things like my rear sight coming loose.