Changing from Sporter to Precision 3PAR Junior

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Patchmaker

Changing from Sporter to Precision 3PAR Junior

Post by Patchmaker »

I recently became a JROTC Instructor and want to switch from sporter to precision. I’m looking at getting jackets, trousers, and shoes first, then slowly working on rifles as I know these can get pricey.

I have talked to a few NCAA Shooters and their recommendations were CC, Kurt Thune, and Anschutz.

In your opinion, what is a good brand that I can look at to get 5/6 sets of gear (No Rifles) for around 6k or less?
justadude

Re: Changing from Sporter to Precision 3PAR Junior

Post by justadude »

With regard to the clothing kit: Don't worry about the shoes. Yeah, they are nice but the rules allow for regular athletic training shoes. If you get an athlete that really takes to it and want to buy their own boots, more power to them.

You have left out sling, glove and kneeling roll. For precision 3P Air, you will need ISSF legal equipment. CC and others do have nice basic ISSF legal gloves for modest prices. For a sling my favorite is the Gehmann model 430 (or 433 for younger, smaller statured shooters). It is a basic, very well designed sling that is comfortable and easy to use. The easy to use part being critical.

Along with the ones you mentioned, I think Sauer and Monard both have an off the shelf line at a modest price point. CC is very affordable but does not hold up well under hard use.

Other folks will likely point you to a favorite equipment dealer but consider calling Bob Oberlie @ SEVEN TWO ZERO - SIX SEVEN ZERO - SIX EIGHT ONE EIGHT. (Oberlie Enterprises) I know Oberlie handles AHG and Monard. Additionally Oberlie is very invested in international type shooting so understands the sport and should be able to talk to you about what you really need vs what someone thinks you need.

Good Luck
'dude
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I was at cmp nationals and Creedmoor had discontinued gloves on sale for $10. It's a camp perry only deal. If you know someone at camp perry you should ask them to pick up a bunch for you.
Patchmaker

Post by Patchmaker »

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

Hello,
I just sent you a private message regarding this.

Pete