FWB 80 energy

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

stalil

FWB 80 energy

Post by stalil »

Hello gentlemen, I would like to ask whether 360 fps (with H&N sport, around 8.2 grain I think) is an acceptable velocity for my FWB 80 or it needs some refurbishment. And any idea where should I start from?
Thanks
Stavros
David M

Re: FWB 80 energy

Post by David M »

FWB 65 & 80 are similar in velocity, with new springs, seals and with light weight pellets (7grain/0.45g)
about 440-450 fps.
Pellet weight and diameter will make a difference.
360 fps is down a little.
Is it punching a clean hole or is it tearing the target ?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have heard of FWB 65s being chronographed at around 525fps. Beeman used to advertise that velocity, but they really liked to "fudge" their numbers.

I would do two things: change out the spring(s) for a dual spring set-up. Make sure your seals are good; might as well change them AND the springs.

Pilk is a master of the above; take advantage of that.

I would also go to a light pellet. First choice (everyone knows what I'll say), RWS Basic. Also try RWS Hobby and Meisterkugeln Blue.
stalil

Post by stalil »

it's not punching very clean holes but it could be the paper...
stalil

Post by stalil »

I'll try lighter pellets before anything else... thank you anyway for your advice.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I have a FWB 80, and I like to shoot my pistol with 7 gr. wadcutter pellets from any of the brand name manufacturers, 8,2 gr. is a bit heavy, but 360 fps is too slow.

Check the condition of the breech and bumper seals, if it’s white/yellowish/blue, you have an older seal, the piston seal has probably deteriorated as well, the newest seals are of green color and they’re more durable than the old ones.

If you decide to disassemble your pistol, it has dual springs, see if they are canted or have defects, replace if necessary.

All replacement parts are still available directly from FWB:

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Service-D ... d-drawings
stalil

Post by stalil »

The breech seal is blue, definitely old. Thanks kevinweiho...
spektr

Post by spektr »

The heavier pellets arent doing you any favors.....
Lighter pellets will get you to 440 ish which is there with its peers
stalil

Post by stalil »

well, i have lots of them that"s the only reason i am using them, but you are right, I should use lighter ones...
Rover

Post by Rover »

stalil wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 am well, i have lots of them that"s the only reason i am using them, but you are right, I should use lighter ones...
At best, you'll get another 30-40fps with lighter pellets. I'll assume you're using good German targets (not crap American ones), so you should be getting clean holes with light pellets. If not....time for a rebuild, in which case the heavier pellets will work fine.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Rover wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:34 am I'll assume you're using good German targets (not crap American ones), so you should be getting clean holes with light pellets.
Eventually Rover has realized for himself West European quality is superior.
German targets? I buy swiss targets, the famous high quality Kromer targets. Those are superior to other makes.
https://kromerprint.ch/wp-content/uploa ... 3-2020.pdf
Rover is confused about Germany and Switzerland, I think.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Rover is confused about Germany and Switzerland, I think."

Of course I am. That's why I got my Swiss AP from a German.
69Dart

Post by 69Dart »

My 80 shoots in the 450-450 range with 7.0 grain pellets, it doesn’t really like pellets over 8 grains. I shoot RWS Basics in it most of the time.

When I rebuilt mine I was told to replace the dual springs with a single spring.