USA Shooting Announces the Hire of Don Stith as Paralympic Manager

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

Post by USA Shooting »

USA Shooting, the National Governing Body for the sport of shooting, announces the hire of Don Stith as full-time Paralympic Manager starting May 1, 2021. Stith will oversee the management, training, and programming of the United States Paralympic Shooting Team.

This new hire announcement comes just months before the scheduled Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games taking place August 2021.

“Don is assuming one of the most challenging positions at USA Shooting,” said USA Shooting CEO, Matt Suggs. “Our selection committee included two athletes, and I’m pleased to say their input was the differentiator in selecting Don over the highly qualified candidates that we shortlisted.”

Stith’s extensive involvement with USA Shooting spans from his experience as a parent supporting his daughter on the National Rifle Team, coaching at the junior-club level, and volunteering with Paralympic Team at the Olympic and Paralympic Training Center.

Stith and his family moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado from Washington State in 2015 when his daughter Emily Stith began training with the National Training Center Shooting Club (NTCSC).

“Emily started shooting really well out here.” said Stith “During our time in Colorado, I met Roger Withrow who got me started volunteering and helping with the para team. I ended up attending the Warrior Games in 2015 where I met West Point Coach, Web Wright. From there, I started volunteering and loading for McKenna Dahl, Jazmine Almile-Ryan, and many other athletes. I met the entire team that year, and well, everything just clicked.”

When McKenna came back from the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games with her bronze medal, Stith found himself even more involved with the Paralympic team. “I went to Poland with Armando Ayala, the Paralympic Coach at the time. It was my first IPC event I’d been to,” said Stith. “I had traveled overseas with my daughter Emily during her time on the National and Junior National Team, but this was a different experience, eye-opening to say the least. Our USA Shooting Paralympic athletes are able to do things that we as able-bodied athletes can’t do.”

Stith spent 23 years in the Navy and became the range master and range officer for his command in the pacific northwest region. A chief warrant officer there mentioned his daughter, Emily, should consider pursuing precision shooting. “It was always Emily’s choice to continue, and it really just took off from there,” said Stith.

Stith enjoys off-roading, building jeeps, side-by-sides, and is extremely proud of his family and what his children have accomplished. He has three daughters, one son, a grandchild, and another grandchild on the way.

“I’m looking forward to the Paralympic camp coming up in June and the World Cup in Lima. From there, our sights will be set on Tokyo in August,” added Stith.

Contact Don at Don.Stith@usashooting.org
Marc Orvin

Re: USA Shooting Announces the Hire of Don Stith as Paralympic Manager

Post by Marc Orvin »

Congratulations Don. I'm sure you will do well in this position. Best of luck to both you and the athletes.
Marc
jhmartin

Re: USA Shooting Announces the Hire of Don Stith as Paralympic Manager

Post by jhmartin »

A congrats from me too Don.
Your passion for the sport will enhance the Para team!