Custom Grips for my Baikal IZH 46M pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gkenny

Custom Grips for my Baikal IZH 46M pistol

Post by gkenny »

Hi, I hope all are making out OK with this terrible virus! I am very worried mainly because I am 80 years old.

I want to replace the original grips on my Baikal 46M air pistol. They have the large adjustable plate on the bottom and are terrible looking.

My first choice would be figured Walnut grips with all of the fancy shape usually seen with a target type air pistol. Not too far different in shape as the original but with no adjustments and all solid, not in pieces.

I have been unsuccessful so far in finding someone, Can you help?

Thank you very much, stay safe my friend, regards, gkenny.
rmca

Re: Custom Grips for my Baikal IZH 46M pistol

Post by rmca »

Hi gkenny!

Have you checked Rink in Germany?
They offer grips for your IZH46M

https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php? ... 400&p2=255

Hope this helps!
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

rmca wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm Hi gkenny!

Have you checked Rink in Germany?
They offer grips for your IZH46M

https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php? ... 400&p2=255

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much rica, this looks like exactly what I need!

I will check them out and get started right away!

Thanks again for your quick and helpful response!

Stay safe, regards, gkenny.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since your grips are ugly, you won't hurt them by making them fit.

If you have a drill, buy a rasp to fit it and go to town, taking off anything that feels or looks odd or that hurts.

Go to the hardware story and buy the cheapest "kneadable" two part epoxy. Build up the grip until it points naturally at the target.

If you screw up, go for the rasp again. When it is to your satisfaction, paint it in gay rainbow colors, so that folks can laugh at that
instead of your ugly job.

Shoot that sucker, and if you're concerned about Corona, just remember Mother's Sovereign Remedy: a large jug of good bourbon.

(Brought to you by the Italian/Irish Coalition for Good Guzzling.)
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Rover wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 am Since your grips are ugly, you won't hurt them by making them fit.

If you have a drill, buy a rasp to fit it and go to town, taking off anything that feels or looks odd or that hurts.

Go to the hardware story and buy the cheapest "kneadable" two part epoxy. Build up the grip until it points naturally at the target.

If you screw up, go for the rasp again. When it is to your satisfaction, paint it in gay rainbow colors, so that folks can laugh at that
instead of your ugly job.

Shoot that sucker, and if you're concerned about Corona, just remember Mother's Sovereign Remedy: a large jug of good bourbon.

(Brought to you by the Italian/Irish Coalition for Good Guzzling.)
LOL! That would be a last resort Rover, but still a valid possibility if all else fails!

Thanks for your input! Regards, gkenny.
benjodan

Post by benjodan »

I have a Baikal IZH-46M with the stock grips and they are truly awful -- too big and totally uncomfortable. But now I'm having custom grips made by Steve Corcoran (web site is https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/). He has a great website that shows the beautiful walnut grips he'll make for this gun and also a whole bunch of beautiful laminated grips he can also make. He asks that you send him a photocopy of your palm and also some specific dimensions so that the grip he makes for you will fit you like a glove. I communicated by e-mail with him a whole bunch of times and then finally spoke with him in person to finalize the details of my order. He's not inexpensive, and I can't yet personally attest to the finished product because I just ordered my grip and won't receive it for several weeks. But based on what he's done through numerous photos of his work throughout his website, I have great confidence that what he makes for me will be gorgeous. I'll post a photo of the finished product when I receive it and give you my impressions of it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"LOL! That would be a last resort Rover, but still a valid possibility if all else fails!"

Actually, this should be the first thing you try, since if you buy custom grips you will still have to do it and will have spent a wad.
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

benjodan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:49 pm I have a Baikal IZH-46M with the stock grips and they are truly awful -- too big and totally uncomfortable. But now I'm having custom grips made by Steve Corcoran (web site is https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/). He has a great website that shows the beautiful walnut grips he'll make for this gun and also a whole bunch of beautiful laminated grips he can also make. He asks that you send him a photocopy of your palm and also some specific dimensions so that the grip he makes for you will fit you like a glove. I communicated by e-mail with him a whole bunch of times and then finally spoke with him in person to finalize the details of my order. He's not inexpensive, and I can't yet personally attest to the finished product because I just ordered my grip and won't receive it for several weeks. But based on what he's done through numerous photos of his work throughout his website, I have great confidence that what he makes for me will be gorgeous. I'll post a photo of the finished product when I receive it and give you my impressions of it.
Thank you Ben, please see my private message. Regards, gkenny.
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Hi, I don't think that I am doing this correctly because I thought that I answered this before several months ago but I don't see my final post which shows that I decided to make the grips myself and did so from an old Walnut tree from my own ground.

I thought that I posted photos here but I don't see them now.

Can anyone help me? I would show them here again if anyone would like to see them.

Regards, gkenny.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Thank you David, I did think that I sent that post, but some of us in this age group, not all, forget some things! Thanks for reminding me.
Regards, gkenny.