New Grips for a Baikal M46 target pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gkenny

New Grips for a Baikal M46 target pistol

Post by gkenny »

Hello again,
A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was very happy with my Baikal M46 target pistol, but I was very unhappy with the original grips. They were made from a very plain wood, had an adjustable hand rest and contained 6 holes in the grips for mounting and adjusting. To me they were ugly and I wanted a new set of grips in figured Walnut.
I requested help here in finding someone who could make me a grip from figured Walnut, preferably one piece, with no moving parts and only one hole in each side. As usual, you folks came thru with some very kind help!
One said to check a German outfit, RINK, who made grips perfectly suited to this gun, but I did not want to send my gun overseas for the purpose, and the grips still had the large adjustment base.
Another kind person told me about a man in West Virginia who made custom made grips from Walnut and when I checked his website, I found the most beautiful grips ever! His normal charge was between $150 and $200! I considered that a real bargain for the quality of his work! He was certainly a true craftsmen and cared about his work! I sent him a request immediately but to this day, about 3 or 4 weeks later, he has not replied back to me. Judging from the quality of his work and prices, he probably has more work than he can handle!
My last choice was to try to make them myself, not an easy task because as I mentioned last time, I am over 80 and my eyesight is failing a little. i also have never tried anything like this before, I have never done woodworking and I am a retired artist. I have no shop tools, only a small hobby jigsaw and a Dremel.
It has taking me over 50 hours but they are finished now and I am very happy with them! Of course I am aware that this amount of time is very unpractical, but I have nothing to do anyway.
If anyone would like to see them I have photos and would be honored to post them here, but this is only my second post and I will need instructions on how to post the photos. They are made from a nice little piece of Walnut that I found in my woods and cut the rough shape with an electric chain saw. They are one piece, no frame showing, no moving parts, they fit my hand the gun nicely, and have only one screw holding them.
Thanks again for your help with this, and I would love to post the photos if anyone wants to see them. Thank you for your time, regards, gkenny.
Ade C

Re: New Grips for a Baikal M46 target pistol

Post by Ade C »

I'd love to see the grips you made. The simplest way to add pictures is to drag and drop into the message box
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Ade C wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 am I'd love to see the grips you made. The simplest way to add pictures is to drag and drop into the message box

Thank you, Ade C, but I don't know where the "message box" is located and do I send along with my original post above or separately?

Regards, gkenny.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

The "message box" is the place you type when you post a message. Just drag the photo file(s) into your next reply.
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

[attachment=1]New s grips 6 Baikal.jpg[][]New s grips 2 Baikal.jpg[]New s grips 5 baikal.jpg[Baikal.jpg[]New s grips 1 - grips 2 Baikal.jpg[
Attachments
New s grips 1 - Baikal.jpg
New s grips 6 Baikal.jpg
New s grips 6 Baikal.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
New s grips 5 baikal.jpg
New s grips 5 baikal.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
New s grips 2 Baikal.jpg
New s grips 1 - Baikal.jpg
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Attached are the photos of my new Baikal grips.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Very nicely done!
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

-TT- wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm Very nicely done!
Thank you very much TT, I appreciate your nice Comment!

Regards, gkenny.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Beautiful. They look very comfortable too
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

Ade C wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:28 am Beautiful. They look very comfortable too
Thank you Ade C they are comfortable and fit my hand like a Glove.

Regards, gkenny.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

GKenny those are beautiful for having little or no woodworking time before. That piece of wood has some nice figure also. I used to smoke a pipe years ago and loved to look at the burl they were made from. It really comes alive when the finish is applied. Nice job.
Stan
gkenny

Post by gkenny »

porkchop wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm GKenny those are beautiful for having little or no woodworking time before. That piece of wood has some nice figure also. I used to smoke a pipe years ago and loved to look at the burl they were made from. It really comes alive when the finish is applied. Nice job.
Stan
Hi Porkchop, Thank you very much for your kind comments!

I used to smoke a pipe also and I also enjoyed the beautiful burl! That is what inspired me to make the grips from one piece of figured Walnut.

Thanks again, stay safe, regards, Ken.