Reloading .32 ACP & Pardini HP

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Tab812

Reloading .32 ACP & Pardini HP

Post by Tab812 »

I have reviewed most of the threads related to the .32 ACP & Pardini HP...
I appreciate all the info on casting, and I'm sure I will cast down the road.
However, the outdoor season is upon us...I have HORNADY BULLETS .32CAL 60GR XTP-HP 32010 and a little over 500 .32 ACP Factory Hornady XTP… I am going to use the brass after they are fired…
I will be using a Dillon 550.
So I need some reloading info.
What dies should I buy?
What powder is working with this round…? I have access to Titewad, Titegroup and Bullseye...I have NOT found any VV N310.

I found this in one of the threads:

60gr Hornady XTP JHP
2.3gr +/- 0.05gr Hodgdon Titegroup
New Remington pre-primed brass
0.925" OAL +/- 0.003"
0.332" crimp +/- 0.001"
Lee sizing die
UniqueTek micrometer powder bar
Hornady seating die with micrometer
Redding taper crimp die.

It is a good start, but I would like to hear from others who have been successful loading this round.

Thanks for the help…
Tim
cgroppi

Re: Reloading .32 ACP & Pardini HP

Post by cgroppi »

Tab812 wrote:I have reviewed most of the threads related to the .32 ACP & Pardini HP...
I appreciate all the info on casting, and I'm sure I will cast down the road.
However, the outdoor season is upon us...I have HORNADY BULLETS .32CAL 60GR XTP-HP 32010 and a little over 500 .32 ACP Factory Hornady XTP… I am going to use the brass after they are fired…
I will be using a Dillon 550.
So I need some reloading info.
What dies should I buy?
What powder is working with this round…? I have access to Titewad, Titegroup and Bullseye...I have NOT found any VV N310.

I found this in one of the threads:

60gr Hornady XTP JHP
2.3gr +/- 0.05gr Hodgdon Titegroup
New Remington pre-primed brass
0.925" OAL +/- 0.003"
0.332" crimp +/- 0.001"
Lee sizing die
UniqueTek micrometer powder bar
Hornady seating die with micrometer
Redding taper crimp die.

It is a good start, but I would like to hear from others who have been successful loading this round.

Thanks for the help…
Tim
That's my setup. I have changed it slightly since I made that post. I use a Lee FCD now, because I was able to get a hold of one. The only particular reason I use a Lee sizing die is that's what I could find in stock at the time. I use the Hornady seating die so I can use the micrometer stem.

Nothing special about the remington brass either, that's just what there was at the time. I have some Magtech now. It seems to be the same.

I think the micrometer powder bar is important. It makes it easy to get a consistent powder drop at the small charge weights necessary for 32 ACP.

I will also try shortening OAL to 0.895 per Pardini's recommendation and reduce the charge to 2.1 gr of Titegroup because of the reduced case volume. I will also try the 1.7gr of VV N310, also recommended by Pardini. Not sure if any of this will help. It could even end up being worse. The load above was pretty good already for me.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The Arreando nylon powder measure bar from UniqueTek is great.
Not sure if die makers matter, I use RCBS, with a Redding taper crimp die. Had a problem with the RCBS crushing cases.
I am loading on a Dillon 550.
I use VVn310 Accurate #2 and Win 231 worked well also.
Am using Winchester Primers, CCI started sticking in my feeding tubes.
I am using Magtech brass because that was available from Midway.
I also got some RP brass from Midway.
Then I found fired brass on the Internet I use for practice.
My CF scores are now exactly the same as 22, the 45 is tough for me.
Try the Rimrock lead 72 gr. Bullet, is great for 25 yards, and much cheaper.

Good luck.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

I am using the 2.30 grains of Titegroup load as well. Did you write Pardini and inquire about their load data for the 32 ACP? I will have to try the 1.7 VV N310 load. By the way, VV N310 is currently available from http://www.jmreloadingsupply.com/. I just bought 2 lbs and they had 4lbs left ($38 ea). Hope to see you all this month at the Dixie Match. Cheers, dipnet
bking

Post by bking »

I posted in another thread, but this seems a more appropriate place. Is there any interest in having a commercial caster make oldcaster's custom mold profile? The caster I use for my .45's is willing to invest in the molds if there's sufficient interest.

He would charge $67 per 1000 bullets. I'm trying to find out how much interest there is- let me know if you're interested.

To order you can email Travis Frick at tbbullets@peak.org
beeser

Post by beeser »

bking wrote:I posted in another thread, but this seems a more appropriate place. Is there any interest in having a commercial caster make oldcaster's custom mold profile? The caster I use for my .45's is willing to invest in the molds if there's sufficient interest.

He would charge $67 per 1000 bullets. I'm trying to find out how much interest there is- let me know if you're interested.

To order you can email Travis Frick at tbbullets@peak.org
I emailed Travis expressing an interest in ordering some.
Dipnet

Re: Reloading Pardini .32 ACP

Post by Dipnet »

All,
I just finished drilling and tapping the pin holes on my Dillon 550 tool heads and installing Unique Tek's threaded inserts. The objective of this exercise is to reduce variation seen in OAL of 32 ACP bullets I've loaded. I am trying to load bullets with consistent OALs and previous lots of loaded ammo varied due to inherent slop in pinned tool heads. I too second the use of the Unique Tek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit for small powder charges (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/page/45029).

I just couldn't get myself to cough up the $90+ bucks for a Redding die set, but in hindsight, I wish I had just done it. I've ended up with a odd assortment of dies. I use a Hornady carbide full length resizing die, Dillon's powder drop/case mouth expander die, a Lee bullet seating die (in which I've polished the mouth rim), and a Redding taper crimp die. The Hornady resizing die works very well and replaces a Lee sizing die, which didn't work so well (it left a bulge on one side of resized brass; it would feed but it just wasn't right). Another QC issue? I initially set the Lee seating die to also taper crimp, but found quality varied, so I backed it off and bought the Redding crimp die.

I'm experimenting with the load Vladimir recently recommended (OAL: 0.894, 1.8 gr VV N310, 60 gr Hornady XTP bullet). This load is for the long line. For timed and rapid fire, I use the Rimrock 75 gr LRNFP bullet over 2.0 gr Titegroup. These are much less expensive than the Hornady XTP bullets.

I am using R-P, Hornady, and Federal brass. I have discovered that resized and loaded PMC brass does not headspace correctly [if I am using the term correctly], i.e., there is a small gap between shell base and bolt face caused by the extractor not hopping over case rim! Why that is I don't know (I haven't compared rim diameters among brass brands).

Obviously PMC 60gr JHP shoots OK (albeit not as accurately as the Hornady load). Those who may be reloading with the OAL of 0.925 may want to check head spacing in their barrel/bolt. I found a gap between the shell base and bolt face exists in my OAL 0.925 loads using R-P and Federal brass, but the extractor will pop over the rim when the bolt is pushed hard enough. [Obviously sans force applied against firing pin]. Bullets loaded to OAL ranging ~0.984 to 0.910 and placed in my barrel seat flush against bolt face. I leave it to more knowledgeable people to interpret these observations, but it seems to me that this is the OAL range I should strive for.

It is too bad that the Hornady ammo is so expensive as their brass seems to be high quality. Has anybody shot 60gr Winchester Silvertips? You can get these in boxes of 50 for about $43/box. If accurate, that may be an easy way to build up an initial supply of brass and have bullets to shoot with right away. Dipnet
beeser

Post by beeser »

Good news - Looks like T&B Bullets will soon have some of the bullets bking refers to for sale.