GSP Frame, legal question-Canada

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Brewster20

GSP Frame, legal question-Canada

Post by Brewster20 »

Hi folks, I am in the process of selling a GSP frame. This frame has no serial # on it. (it was manufactured that way) The number is on the receiver. However, I am selling just the part that the grips attach to, and the houses the trigger. According to the Canadian Firearms Act, a frame is controlled the same as a complete handgun, ie it has to be transferred legally. My question is how does one transfer something that has no serial #?
Thanks
Dr. Jim

Re: GSP Frame, legal question-Canada

Post by Dr. Jim »

GSPs have always been a problem for the gov't! At one point they or at least their archives officer insisted on applying a sticker to my triggers. For a while the trigger on my 32 was the only registered part of it. The current situation is that the "receiver" top component with the serial number is in fact the registered part. Feel free to buy and sell "frames" at will.

Dr Jim
FredB

Post by FredB »

Just to add an interesting note. I don't have enough first-hand knowledge to confirm the situation Dr Jim describes in Canada, but what he describes is true in Germany and much of Europe. However, the opposite is true in the USA. GSP (and OSP) frames used to come into the USA unserialized, because that was not required in Germany. The importer was supposed to add a serial number along with the normal import markings, but many frames didn't get serialized. Even so, in the USA the frame (even if unserialized) is the restricted part and requires an FFL for transfer, but the (serialized) top end is considered an unrestricted conversion unit and can be transferred with no FFL involvement. Makes for "interesting" transfer arrangements between the USA and Canada.
Leon

Post by Leon »

How much are you asking for the GSP frame?
Brewster20

Post by Brewster20 »

Hi there, I sold it for CDN $ 185.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Just a suggestion, if you still have the upper, or know the number,
Have an engraver cut the serial number on the frame that
Matches the upper's serial number.